Michigan & Wisconsin Travel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you like whiskey and vodka the Grand Traverse Distillery in Traverse City has great small batch rye whiskey and vodka. They do tours as well.

Came accross this thread as I was searching for the regional forum for Wisconsin. Here is as good a place as any to thank the Milwaukee area beer community for some great beer! I'm from Baltimore and am in town for the week at a conference. So far I've had:

New Glarus: Spotted Cow and Moon Man
Milwaukee Brewing Co.: Booyah
Something from Point?
Lake Front Brewing: IPA, Stein, Fixed Gear
Leinenkugal: Red Ale (weakest of the bunch)

Every beer listed above was great. Heading out for more tasting and "Summerfest" tonight!

Thanks, Milwaukee, I've had a great few days!

Bob

Came accross this thread as I was searching for the regional forum for Wisconsin. Here is as good a place as any to thank the Milwaukee area beer community for some great beer! I'm from Baltimore and am in town for the week at a conference. So far I've had:

Something from Point?

Every beer listed above was great. Heading out for more tasting and "Summerfest" tonight!

Bob
Sounds like you've had some good Wisconsin Beers! You won't have the opportunity to try many good craft beers at Summerfest unless they've changed since I've been there last. Lakefront has a new strong ale release called Bridge Burner. Try some if you can find it.

Hello All,

Thanks for your suggestions I just don't think we have enough time to do it all....
This is the current route found here. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
cd
If you go North around Lake Mendota instead of South in Madison you'll be able to stop at Ale Asylum. Probably wouldn't add too much time and going through town to jump back on 12 you'll also be able to stop at the Vintage. The Vintage is right next to the 12 on ramp.

Sincerely biased Madison poster:D

Otherwise have fun!:mug:

When you go through grand rapids stop off at brewery vivant. It's in a old church and have some crazy good beer and food. There is also founders in grand rapids as well

Plus one for Brewery Vivant. Brother lives next to them and brings me some occasionally. Killer Belgian IPA.

Founders is supposed to be amazing, it never wowed me but I am willing to admit it might've been old beer or an off day for me.

Edit: Oh, and New Glarus Moon Man, and Fat Squirrel are two favorites, and if you go to the brewery (which you should, AND you should stay in New Glarus at a bed and breakfast, GREAT town) They might have their Rasperry Tart Lambic on tap. Gives me shivers just thinking about it.

I would adjust your route leaving Madison just a bit. Go to the Verona Road/Midvale BLVD exit and head north about half a mile to The Vintage instead of getting off on Seminole Highway. Madison has The Vintage, Great Dane, and Ale Asylum all as brewpubs. That is the order I would rank them taking food into consideration.

There is also Tyranena Brewery between Milwaukee and Madison.(in Lake Mills)

If you are going through Appleton there is a good brewpub called Stone Cellar.

I would go to the Vintage Brewing Co. off of Whitney Way, instead. I've heard some so-so remarks about the Vintage down in the heart of Madison. If you take US-12/18 to Whitney Way, hang a right to go north, and it's just north of Odana Rd on your left. Excellent burgers and lots of great brews they make themselves. Last time I counted, there were more than a dozen of their own brews on tap.

You could also continue west on 12/18 to Middleton to hit Capital Brewery for a tour, but that might be a bit out of your way.

I haven't been impressed with Great Dane's burgers, but that's at the one in Fitchburg on the south side of Madison. The downtown one might be much better.

I've been meaning to hit Tyranena for a while. Is it worth going?

Crap, you are right. The Vintage I meant is on Whitney Way. In any case it is very close to 12/18. The Vintage does have very good burgers. They make a grilled cheese burger that has two grilled cheese sandwiches as buns. I always get the build your own burger. I have never left hungry and usually don't need supper after eating lunch there.

The Great Dane's are all pretty much the same in regards to food in my opinion. I almost always order the pretzel burger.(hamburger with bacon and cheddar cheese on a pretzel bun)

Something from Point?

Bob
I love Fixed Gear. Riverwest Stein is also pretty good.

Leinenkugal's is owned by Miller and is quasi craft like Blue Moon but not as good.

If you like a little darker beers New Glarus Black Top is excellent. GABF gold medal winner in 2011.

If you like hefe's Dancing Man Wheat is very good, watch out for the 7% ABV though. You wouldn't know it from drinking it. Add in Wisconsinite as a hefe to try. All Wisconsin ingredients.

If you want a good beer bar in Milwaukee, I have heard good things about Cafe Hollander.

Crap, you are right. The Vintage I meant is on Whitney Way. In any case it is very close to 12/18. The Vintage does have very good burgers. They make a grilled cheese burger that has two grilled cheese sandwiches as buns. I always get the build your own burger. I have never left hungry and usually don't need supper after eating lunch there.

The Great Dane's are all pretty much the same in regards to food in my opinion. I almost always order the pretzel burger.(hamburger with bacon and cheddar cheese on a pretzel bun)

I still need to order that Grilled Cheese Cheeseburger. Looks amazing!

The pretzel burger that I've had at GD was that brat and pretzel burger, where it has that 1/4lb brat patty and 1/3lb burger patty with mustard. Mmmmm.... making me hungry, and it's not even 9am! There's just something about pretzel buns that's just awesome. Try the beer bread at Great Dane, too. Good stuff.

Back