What Beers to Request? (Wisconsin, Michigan)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellsbells

Reaction score
Hey All,
My sister is traveling to the states tomorrow. She's only going to be gone a day or two but has offered to bring me back a 12-pack. What should I ask for? I don't want to put her out at all, so only want to ask for stuff that's easily available in those areas (Wisconsin and Michigan). My tastes run towards pales & IPAs, etc. Any suggestions?

Thanks Brewnstein. Would that be something she'd be able to grab easily at a gas station or grocery store, etc.? She's not really good at organizing herself, so I only want to ask her for stuff she can pick up easily :ban:

When it comes to international travel, cans are easier to pack and harder to break than bottles. Another vote for Two Hearted. Bonus points if you catch the Hemingway reference.

New Glarus is good, and I think only available in Wisconsin. Wife snagged me a couple of bottles of Spotted Cow a few months ago. I'm not sure that it lived up to its reputation, but I enjoyed them.

Leinenkugel's Red Pale Ale is also only sold in Wisconsin (so I've never tried it, but Leinie's is usually pretty good)

New Glarus sells a decent 12-pack sampler. Three bottles each of some of their popular brews. They distribute only in WI.
Another vote for Two Hearted. Founder's Breakfast Stout. Those are available all over--any decent liquor store should have them.
Surly (comes in 16 oz cans) is distributed in WI--Furious and Bender are 2 of their big "flagship" brews and should be easy to find.

Dragon's Milk by New Holland Brewing of Holland, MI. She'll be able to find it anywhere in Michigan, probably Wisconsin too. 11.2% Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout that is fantastic (it's balance is amazing).

I would have her keep an eye out for New Glarus's Scream IIPA (or anything from their Thumbprint series). Toppling Goliath's Psuedo-Sue is nice and should be somewhat easy to find (and canned) - and if she can find a bomber of King Sue then you're really lucky.

I may be in the minority, but unless she has a ton of space, I wouldn't bother with New Glarus's typical seasonal variety 12-pack; don't get me wrong, NG does great beer, but they are exemplary examples of classic styles - but they don't stick out in my memory.

+1 on Bell's and Founder's. I may be spoiled when Two Hearted is always an option. Bell's Oberon is going to be a little out of season but is very note-worthy.

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions, it's much appreciated. I sent her a wish list, so hopefully she comes back with at least one or two goodies for me to try :)

New Glarus Moon Man is okay, of you’re in WI try to get some Fantasy Factory from Karben 4 or maybe some Mudpuppy Porter from Central Waters. Maybe it’s because I’ve had access to it my whole life, but I’ve never been blown away by anything from NG. Though it is always a solid, consistent brewery it’s just got a low ceiling.

+1 on Two Hearted and anything Toppling Goliath

I'll second New Holland Dragon's Milk, excellent stuff bourbon stout. Can't go wrong with anything from New Holland, really.

Also I'll second Karben4, but my favorite from them is Lady Luck Irish Red. But I am more of a malt lover than a hophead. This is another brewery where you can't go wrong with any of their selections.

Ale Asylum makes great hoppy beers, can't go wrong there.

Lakefront's stuff is all great. I like Snake Chaser stout.

For New Glarus (available ONLY in Wisconsin and NOWHERE ELSE), Moon Man Pale and their IPA are both very solid choices, but they do make a broad range of styles that are usually quite good.

Cheers. Hope you get something you like.

Ale Asylum, New Glarus, Lakefront Brewery, Wisconsin Brewing Company, Capital, Great Dane, there's tons of options in Wisconsin (Michigan too, definitely grab some Dragon's Milk).

Don't waste your time with New Glarus. Their beer is not bad, but nothing special. Spotted Cow is sooooo overrated. For those outside WI, it's a I can't get it so it has to be good thing. In the words of Roman "No Spotted Cow, Not Now, Not Ever". Ale Asylum, Cental waters barrel aged stuff, Karben4, Mobcraft, MKE. But the MI breweries mentioned are better, except for the central waters barrel aged stuff. That stuff is fantastic.

Founders All Day IPA ! Founders and Bells Both make Great Beers ! I love Kalamazoo Stout by bells !

What about Great Lakes Brewing? I've heard good things about Edmund Fitzgerald Porter, but I haven't tried it yet.

Its fantastic, you gotta try it. Great Lakes Oktoberfest is also quite good for an American Ofest.

Back