Hello from Tokyo, Japan! + Blog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewjapan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while now and thought it was time to post an introduction.

I'm British, homebrewing in Tokyo, Japan. I started less than three months ago with a shop bought kit and have since:

- moved onto partial mash and all grain
- bought a kegerator
- carried kegs in my suitcase from Korea to Japan
- made beer at one of the big craft breweries in Japan
- built a fermentation chamber
- made 18 beers! (well technically the last two are still fermenting)

I'm blogging almost daily about my experiences brewing in Japan, getting equipment, meeting other homebrewers, recipes and experiments, and trying commercial beers here. My blog includes a step by step guide to making an extract beer and a detailed guide on cultivating yeast from commercial beers and previous fermentations.

I just want to say a special Thank You to everyone on this board who replied to my newbie questions in the first months since starting. Homebrewing in Japan can be hard work, especially when you're learning from zero and don't speak the language here!

Anyone brewing in Japan or visiting Tokyo, feel free to get in touch direct!

Homebrew Japan

I was under the impression it was illegal to home brew in Japan. At least that was what I was told while living there.

Makes it more exciting I guess!

that's a great blog man. one of my best friends is in the US Navy and is stationed in Japan. He homebrews and is pretty frustrated with the whole situation over there when it comes to finding ingredients and equipment. i sent him your link. thanks!

> i sent him your link. thanks!

Cool. Tell him to get in touch.

> Where exactly are you storing all this beer and equipment?

In my apartment. In my stomach ;)

> I was under the impression it was illegal to home brew in Japan. At least that was what I was told while living there.

Nope. It is legal up to 1%. They sell kits in high street stores with instructions in Japanese that start "This is how you make beer outside Japan. If you make it in Japan, you should limit alcohol to 1%". That's it.

Read the comments here: Offering humble brew to a master « Homebrew Japan

Wow I brew in my apartment in LA, and barely have enough space to bottle a couple of batches, let alone have a kegerator, a fermentation chamber, etc. I am humbled by your efficiency.

How many jou is your apartment size?

It's a great blog, and after seeing the bar menu you took a photo of I'm also glad I'm able to enjoy craft beers for significantly lower cost. Although, I suppose since you're from the UK you don't notice the difference. :)

Are you planning to enter the wancup2 homebrew competition in July?

> How many jou is your apartment size?

It's small. Believe me - doing homebrewing here requires a lot of creative use of space and compromises. I don't have a freezer I can use because it is full of hops. All food is stored outside the kitchen in the hall because I need room for the kegerator. And last night I even had to throw away clothes to make space!
The things I do for beer… « Homebrew Japan

> Are you planning to enter the wancup2 homebrew competition in July?
Yes, I'm thinking to :)

Well hello!!! Glad you could join us! I was born in Tachikawa when there used to be a USAFB there. Like to go back sometime.

Hi, hows it going in Japan?? I lived in Okinawa for 2 years in the US Army. Miss Japan, never got a chance to brew there :( Welcome to the forums.

I am a fanatical homebrewer on Okinawa. It is great to see your blog and all the cool bars I have to visit in Tokyo. I find the temperature the hardest thing to deal with when it comes to brewing on this island. Ingredients are easily accessible over the internet. Did I read your blog correct that you ordered and recieved hops from fresh hops??

Yellow70cooper

Indeed:
The monster hops order « Homebrew Japan

And the beauty of Freshops is that you can pick a bit of everything with no mininum - even 2 or 4oz - so you have have a bit of everything. A bit convoluted to order from them since you have to email them though.

Send me a PM with your email address and lets keep in touch. I've got access to a whole load of info - and it's always good to know another fanatical homebrewer in Japan.

Nope. It is legal up to 1%. They sell kits in high street stores with instructions in Japanese that start "This is how you make beer outside Japan. If you make it in Japan, you should limit alcohol to 1%". That's it.
So it's kind of like fireworks in some states in the US? They are always sold with a wink.

Welcome!! :D British? You are Scottish first! Did you think that if you said you were Scottish we might not be able to understand your typing accent? ;)

Back