apfelwein attacks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuffaloSabresBrewer

Reaction score
I mixed my apfelvein with some 7up for a more refreshing thirst quenching drink and boy did it ever sneak up on me. I guess I forgot the warning that it will get you drunk at warp speed. Thanks Ed!

That's no $hit. I drank some ~ 2 pints after a few beers..... Hello.... 7Am on the couch asking WTF happened???

Come to think of it I need one....

Just checked the current batch 1.008. Need too wait a bit longer....

I got a $hirt load made w/ Cote De Blancs. Time to pop the seal...

oh dear. one of these days i'll have to tell the story of my first partay with apfelwein and the black metal chick that made everyone's night...but not today ;)

I think all us apfelwein makers have a "and then I woke up going WTF!?!?!" story hidden somewhere:rockin:

I did three pint glasses of it last night.....I didn't have as bad as a headache as I thought I would....It only felt like someone was shoving an icepick between my eyes, as opposed to feeling like someone was hitting me with a sledgehammer.....

Of course I did wish DB's metal chick was around! :D

DeathBrewer said:
oh dear. one of these days i'll have to tell the story of my first partay with apfelwein and the black metal chick that made everyone's night...but not today ;)

When you do get around to it, remember that the story is useless without pictures! :cross:

I had two 12oz glasses the other night, and enjoyed them so much I figured I'd have a third. Nodded off right there on the sofa...woke up around 4:00AM with a splitting headache. I may have to print "WARNING: Stop after 2 glasses!" on the keg, just to remind me.

Had some buddies over last night, we had 3-4 homebrews, then 2 pints of Apfel...I also woke up with the WTF!!! goin on

DeathBrewer said:

Hey, don't hold back... we want to hear that story. :tank:

So does this stuff really have the potential to ruin your next day? I mean, I am getting exited to whip some up next week, but in reading these, I realize that everyone who drinks it ends up with a WTF headache! So is it bad news to get drunk off the apel or what? I wanted to brew up 10 gal and get everyone hammered for fishing opener, but it wont be worth it if everyone is going to be sick the next day... or will it!?

Thanks

DB

Somewhere on here, there is the story of a guy who took his wife to a football game, and she enjoyed a little too much apfelwein during the tailgate party. Long story short, she ended up losing physical control of her body, and they spent most of the game in the restroom. I mean, over-the-top, call the paramedics drunk! It's a pretty harrowing story, probably worth some time with the search function to find it.

Ah, that didn't take long!

Edwort's Apfelwein and Me

My first batch is going right now... It has been going for a little over a week with 3068 and is still bubbling about ever 5-8 secs. The Rhino-fart smell is still apparent but not as bad as it was the first 2-4 days. I can't wait for this. I think the 2 lbs of dextrose plus some sugar in the raw (per request) I can't wait to try this...

I'm on my 5-6 batch...I still have bottles left from 2007...

What's this "hangover" that everyone talks about???

I haven't had one in over 30 years, even with full bottles of Ouzo...:D

The trick is to drink several glasses of water before passing out/going to bed. The water re-hydrates your brain which is the source for the HO.

I've had 4 glasses of AW and am on my 2d glass of Blue Moon clone. It's 1217AM and I have the alarm set for 6AM so I can go to work...I know I'll make it without any problems...:D

The trick is to drink several glasses of water before passing out/going to bed. The water re-hydrates your brain which is the source for the HO.

That's no joke, it really works! Just plow through several glasses, consider it medicine and drink it down. I usually take a single aspirin as well, a doctor friend says it thins the blood and helps your circulatory system recover.

Of course the hard part is to remember to do so. When out of town on business, I generally end up drinking a fair bit with clients...before leaving the hotel, I'll put a water glass on my pillow to remind me to rehydrate before crashing. It's particularly important when attending conventions: few things on earth are more unpleasant than walking around a crowded convention center with a hangover.

The problem with the massive hangovers is people are drinking wine out of beer glasses. Don't do that! It will F you up, man.

I drank a growler of apfelwein followed by a growler of my blackberry wheat at the Jimmy Buffet concert last summer - I blacked out

We had the tail gate all set up by 11AM - the concert was late afternoon (i think around five or six). I had crushed both growlers by myself by about 2PM and then went on to a few BMC's (quality truly doesnt matter at that stage of the game). Did not drink a drop inside of the concert as I could barely stand at that point (was more of a constant swager).

If it had been 2 growlers of blackberry wheat I would have been able to handle myself ok but since this was the first time I really got into my first batch of apfelwein I didn't understand that it was pure gasoline until I was wearing necklace of beer cans made custom for me by some random parrothead lady and making use out of a super soaker that someone handed to me by was squirting it at passerbys - I didn't realize that whoever gave it to me had filled it with BMC rather than water until it was too late......
Lets just say that SWMBO had great patience that day. The HO was so bad I can't even do it justice by trying to describe it.

All of this by complete accident - Heed Ed's warning: APFELWEIN WILL GET YOU DRUCK AT WARP SPEED!

I love Apfelwein!!! But if you don't know when to stop you shouldn't start with this stuff. After a couple of glasses my wife is calling it elfinwine, the neighbor is calling it elfjuice. In their defense we live on top of a snowy mountain where elves do make wine and I usually end up under a tree in the snow talking to the elves...I love Apfelwien and I don't know when to stop.

The thing is with this stuff that it sneaks up on you. Sober then DRUCK there's not a lot of inbetween, especially if you drink it fast which is easy to do

I love this stuff. The Wife loves this stuff, everybody we let sample it, really loves the stuff. I have a carboy dedicated exclusively to aphelwein.

I am already into experimentation phase with different fruits. I just wish I could figure out how to get a pineapple flavor to it. I love pineapples.

In fact I have another batch now that is just about ready to bottle. 5 gals of straight & 5 gals of Blueberry.

Hahahahaha, I dont feel so bad now waking up on the floor between the bathroom and the bedroom.

"...So you dont end up calling Edwort a Motherf*cker"

Isnt that one of the first things said in his initial thread?
WE LOVE YOU EDWORT!
-Me

Paul the Nurse turned me on to this ****. I am doing an online MBA right now and one night a couple courses ago I was sitting at my bar doing school work. Note I have working taps. I had 6-7 AW's and tried to go to the bathroom. I fell off the stool the stool fell on me. I called Ed Wort a MF, fell asleep on the floor. Woke up 3 hours later went to the bathroom and staggered back to the couch and was woken up at 645 am by my daughter. My wife, having heard the rucus the night before decided to punish me and not get out of bed. Worst day of my life...... NEVER AGAIN.... Until the next time.....

I warned my roommate.

It was her 30th birthday party, the DJ was rockin, and the kegerator was close by.

"all I drank was that damn apple cider. not a drop of anything else!" She says.

That night I went to bed at 6am, someone else started cooking pancakes. Half hour later she crawls in bed with me. (THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE) and she snuggles up against me, thanking me for the ciders. She starts getting frisky, then says 'I want pancakes' and leaves. WTF.

People are still telling her what she did that night.

B

Back