First batch of homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedDobe

Reaction score
Got a nice kit for Xmas True Brew and bottled my first batch, Amber Ale, on Wednesday. Pretty anxious to see how it turns out. After reading some posts I have learned patience is everything. Next batch will be a Scottish Ale, should I ferment longer (2weeks) and bottle condition for 6? The kit I will use is by Brewers Best I got at a local shop in Nashville. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Fermentation is strange! Some batches will appear to be done fermenting in 5 days. Others can go on for 10 days. Don't be fooled! The fermentation process goes on beyond the airlock bubbling does and you can only benefit from patience. If you can stand the wait, then try 10 to 14 day fermentation, pop the lid and use a sanitized hydrometer to test for FG! If it is where it needs to be then bootle/keg...if it hasn't reached the estimated final on the recipe, close it back up and wait two to three more days, pop lid again. If gravity is same, it's done.
RDWHAHB

I am on my 3rd batch and moved onto partial mash with NB Surly Bender for my last kit. My next batch will be the BB Scotish Ale extract kit I got for Christmas and then onto All Grain for me. Try the BB Red Ale kit, which was my first kit, for a very good and easy to brew Amber beer.

Thanks for the replies. I think this forum is going to be a great resource. I even saw a section for smoking meats which I am also into. Good fun!

Me too,I love serving my maltier ales with my pit bbq. I even use them for a mop sauce. I gotta make some more IPA to go with bbq'd sea food. My Burton ale,& English bitter go well with pit bbq'd beef & pork. An APA for chicken & the like.
Anyway,always use your hydrometer to be sure your OG/FG is within range. The yeasties have their own time table,which does always fall in line with the directions. Many instruction sheets times are too short,ime.

Just an update... The Surly Bender kit from NB is amazing. It is only a few days old and at least a 9 out if 10 already. Better than 99% of the commercial beers I have ever had.

Back