Attaching the keezer collar (kegging)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weeple2000

Reaction score
So my keezer has been a slow build. A lot of thought goes into what I'm about to do, I get the parts. And then, eventually, I take a step to do what I set out to do.

I have my temperature controller. I built the frame of my collar, and stained the outside of it. I cauked the joints. I still need to install my taps, fan, and run my lines.

I am wondering what people are doing for attaching their collar to their freezer. I didn't think of this initially. I wanted to keep my keezer as close to stock as possible for warranty purposes. So I was going to attach the collar to the freezer, and put hinges on the lid.

Then after researching it (no idea I would have not thought of all this stuff to begin with) it appears that lifting kegs over the collar will be a pain. So I am thinking of hinging my collar, and setting the lid on top without fixing it, until my warranty expires, then cauking it to the top.

Do wood screws provide enough support for the hinges? Or will the screws pop out of my collar? My collar is a 1x12". I figure if I used machine screws and a washer/nut on the other end, it would provide more support.

I also ordered a dehumidifier. If theres anything I'm not thinking of, please let me know. I am planning on having 3 guest taps and 2-3 home brews. I am having people over this Sat, hoping to have it all set up by then.

Either way has worked for many people. Yes, lifting kegs over and additional 12" will be a PITA - so will recovering anything you drop in there. The hinges will support your collar but keep in mind that you will have to position the keezer away from a wall to allow for clearance when you want to open it. For this reason alone I decided to simply left the lid and caulk the collar down in place. But, as I said, either will work. Questions?

You could possibly purchase replacement hinges for your freezer. Most models have replacements that you could buy, so they're factory same. You can use these to attach the collar to the freezer and the lid to the collar. You would also want replacement screws. The only thing you have to drill into will be the collar. I put weather stripping on mine (or fridge door sealant replacement stuff). This way, I can lift the normal lid when I want normal access for hoses (or because I've put some other bottles inside), and lift the collar and lid when I want to move kegs in and out. There are some builds around here that show this, if I can remember where they are.

Should I use wood screws to attach to my 1x12 collar, or drill all the way through and use machine screws and a washer and nut?

Should I use wood screws to attach to my 1x12 collar, or drill all the way through and use machine screws and a washer and nut?

Definitely use machined screws. The collar will be a lot heavier than just the lid. I mounted 2 regulators and a 3-way manifold on mine along with 4 Perlick 525SS's with necessary hoses.

I hindged my lid and siliconed the collar to the freezer just becasue I felt the weatherstripping on the lid was much better than I could do with off the shelf weatherstripping. Plus my freezer sits in a corner so I didn't want to have to pull it out from the wall every time I wanted something inside because I use mine for a bottle fridge as well.

Back