Beer carbed. Too Sweet. Hops in the keg after carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys..

My recipe turned out sweet.. Just kegged last night and it really needs some more hops... Would a hop addition to the keg add any flavor at all? Or just aroma? I was thinking of throwing some in a hop bag and just tossing it in the keg and keeping it there throughout the life of the batch ( a few weeks).. Would this work?

Thanks!
Chris

All you will get is aroma out of the hops. Also I wouldn't leave the hops in the keg for 3 weeks. I pull mine at 10 -14 days to try and avoid any bad flavors that may come from the hops sitting in there too long.

I have no experience with it but maybe you could boil a small amount of DME or just water with hops in it for an hour to get some bitterness. Like I said I have never done it but if you want to try something that might.

We'll see what others say.

I've done it before, with pretty good results. Of course, you won't get any bitterness from the hops but the aroma and flavor can help cover a slightly-too-sweet beer. I did have a too-sweet IPA that did not improve with dryhopping, though. Then I had a too-sweet IPA with dryhops flavor. You could try boiling up a hops tea and adding that to the keg, if you need more bitterness and not just aroma/flavor. Somebody posted about using a French press coffee maker to extract bitterness from hops a while back. Maybe something like that would work for you?

I've dryhopped throughout the life of a keg, without any off-flavors. Of course, kegs don't last very long at my house.

I've dryhopped for 3 months with no off flavors. I would go for it, your nose can fool your tongue.

First, try making a hop tea by boiling an ounce of something like chinook in half gallon of water for an hour, chill and add to the keg. Dry hopping can add a certain perception of bitterness, but not enough.

Someone had suggested pulling up the dip tube and put a bag of hops on with a plastic tie and putting back down in the beer. The dip tube holds the hops under the beer and the plastic tie keep the bag from being sucked into the dip tube.

I've heard of commercial breweries adjusting with hop extract, but I've had no personal experience. I don't know if they boil it in or just add it cold. Dry hopping won't add bitterness, but flavor.

I tried the "hop tea" method today by boiling an ounce of hops for 60min to add to my keg. My 90 min dfh clone is way too sweet. I hope this does the trick.

edit:
Just took a sample after adding about 2 cups of the tea, and WOW, what a difference. It tastes great now. I'm starting to force carb it now.

Goddamn i love it when the exact idea i had in mind was already a thread here on hbt. I got an arrogant bastard clone that finished a little too high for my taste. Im thinking 1 oz of chinook boiled hop tea, and an ounce for dry hop in the keg.

Latest posts

Back