Anyone ever build an outdoor keezer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
Anyone ever build an outdoor keezer?

Any issues or advice?

Can you please post links to your build or post it?

Mine is in an attached garage in Texas. So not quite as hot as an outdoor, but close. First one lasted about 8 years. Second one is in its second year. Will it be under cover?

I plan to put the freezer in a shed like structure that backs up to an outdoor kitchen and have a 12" long tunnel from the collar to my taps. The shed roof will flip up to access the freezer. At some point I plan to put a roof over my taps and outdoor kitchen, but that may be later. I am in Texas as well. I hope this helps with your responses. Any issues or advice with my plan.

Does the heat and dirt typically kill freezers?

Yes, mine sits outdoors on our deck. The deck is covered. Link to the build thread is in my sig.

As far as the dirt goes, the rear/bottom of the chest freezer is typically open. Lots of crud will collect in there. An occasional cleaning with a shop vac would probably help keep the dirt and spider webs at bay. As for the heat, the freezer is going to have to work harder in an uninsulated structure during the summer months. But you will be able to get several years out of it in my experience.

Back