Cut fermentation or carbing short for quick turnaround

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summerofgeorge

Reaction score
I made BM's Centennial Blonde and a Hefe over the weekend. They have to be ready to drink 14 days from brewing. Is it better to primary a few extra days and burst carb in the last couple days or cut the primary to a week and let them carb up the second week at serving pressure?

I know people tend to get these grain to glass quickly so does it even matter?

It is not advised (by me) to cut fermentation or carbonation short, you won't like the rsults

The reason I made these beers is because of the quick turnaround. A lot of people have drank them in under two weeks. I'm just trying to figure out how to split that two weeks up. I would think fermenting as long as possible (10 days) is the best option and then take 3-4 days to carb at the end.

The reason I made these beers is because of the quick turnaround. A lot of people have drank them in under two weeks. I'm just trying to figure out how to split that two weeks up. I would think fermenting as long as possible (10 days) is the best option and then take 3-4 days to carb at the end.

I would think you're right. You're still going to have a bit of carbonic acid bite from burst carbing, but IMO that's better than super green beer.

summerofgeorge said:

Make larger batches or brew weekly?
:)

I've made about 60g of Centennial Blonde so far and most of the time I ferment it for 10 days, keg on day 11, hit it with 30 psi of CO2 for two days then drop it to 12 psi and drink on day 14. I don't think this recipe benefits a whole lot from aging or spending a lot of time in primary. Clarity is the only difference I have noticed between a month old Centennial Blonde and a two week old Centennial Blonde :D

Could you ferment in a pressurized keg with a spunding valve with pressure release set around 25psi (this should correspond to an average CO2 volume at room temp) ?

I can't see how you could do shorter than that, since you would not even need to force carb. You could then transfer your beer to a clean keg before cold crashing.

Back