HoseHead Owners - How to Autostart the Elsinore Server...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman2003

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

With the help of forum member wyzazz, he has shown me a way to have the Elsinore Server autostart when you turn on the Hosehead. No more typing in DOS commands!! Yes.

The forum will not let me upload the folder or file, so you will need to create this stuff from scratch. Here you go:

1) Go the File Manager, open it and go to the "View" menu and turn on "show hidden".

2) Then click on the "pi" folder. Once inside, open the ".config" folder and inside create a folder named "autostart".

So you will have this folder structure: /pi/.config/autostart

3) Now you are going to create a small text file and place it into the newly created "autostart" folder. Go to the start menu button, navigate to Accessories and open the Text Editor program. Once it is open paste this text in the window:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=SBElsinore
Comment=Starts StrangBrew Elsinore Brewery Controller
Exec=lxterminal --command "/home/pi/hosehead/launch.sh"
Terminal=true

Save and name the file - SBElsinore.desktop in the "autostart" folder.

Now the server will start automatically when the Pi fires up.

Hope this helps!!

Thanks a ton for this - do you happen to know the keystrokes to shut down? e.g. ctrl+alt+del , ctrl+alt+del?

On an un-related note, anyone know of a way to get PID auto tuning on hosehead/strangebrew ?

Not sure about autotuning, but I set my strangebrew PID cycle time to 5, and my proportional to 30, left everything else at 0, and it works quite well. I don't over/undershoot using 5500W elements.

Not sure about autotuning, but I set my strangebrew PID cycle time to 5, and my proportional to 30, left everything else at 0, and it works quite well. I don't over/undershoot using 5500W elements.

Is that on RIMs or HERMs? I've been using a cycle time of 2 and have to bring my P down to 3-6ish and I to 50-100ish to not over or undershoot on a 5500w RIMs (and it gets really tricky trying to heat up hose water to 170 for sparging at 1qt/min, still haven't figured that one out).

*WARNING* if you use this method to "autostart" it only starts on login to the desktop environment.

So if you remote desktop in, you will start a new instance of Elsinore, which will cause issues.

Is that on RIMs or HERMs? I've been using a cycle time of 2 and have to bring my P down to 3-6ish and I to 50-100ish to not over or undershoot on a 5500w RIMs (and it gets really tricky trying to heat up hose water to 170 for sparging at 1qt/min, still haven't figured that one out).

Hmm yeah I'm using a HERMS coil. So are you trying to create on-demand sparge water from room/ground temp? That would probably require tuning well outside of my limited abilities. I think heating water to close to 170, and using the rims tube to maintain it during the sparge would work ok, but i'm guessing you're already doing that.

:mug:

Hmm yeah I'm using a HERMS coil. So are you trying to create on-demand sparge water from room/ground temp? That would probably require tuning well outside of my limited abilities. I think heating water to close to 170, and using the rims tube to maintain it during the sparge would work ok, but i'm guessing you're already doing that.

:mug:

Aye, exactly. I brewed this weekend, and as long as you have a valve between the water source and RIMs to have a consistent sparge water flow rate through the RIMs, you can just set the heating element to manual mode and keep tweaking until you get to 170 temperature. mine was around 85% at a duty cycle of 2 seconds to keep a consistent temperature of 170 (worked incredibly well, if you can keep a single flow rate of say 1qt/min and dont have to tinker with it a bunch throughout the sparge). I tried using automatic mode and the PID but just couldn't get it to work out.

Note I don't go through a water filter (using well water from a hose to a ball valve into RIMs) so I don't have to worry much about low water pressure.

Back