A few pre brew rookie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
Im getting ready to start brewing a basic wild beer. I will be doing 2 sanke kegs on an annual sour brew day for the foreseeable future. I was going to begin by making a starter from some of my favourite bottle dregs and mix those with some ecy bug farm. I was going to put 3 oz of pre boiled oak cubes in the starter, reserve these when I pitch and rinse dry and store for the next annual starter. I had also planned to use 3 oz of pre boiled oak cubes per keg for aging.

So the questions i have are:
-Do I use bug farm for primary and secondary fermentation?
-do you rack to different fermenters for primer and secondary?
-Should i pitch another yeast to start, and bug farm after vigorus fermentation?
-has anyone made a starter with oak cubes? just wondering if I might be better to make a 2x starter and store half in the fridge for next year?

Any other help suggestions is appreciated.

-Do I use bug farm for primary and secondary fermentation?
bug farm has everything you need for both primary and secondary. adding dregs is fine, could add more complexity, but isn't needed.

-do you rack to different fermenters for primer and secondary?
both methods are used. personally i rack to secondary and fill it all the way up to the neck to keep head-space to an absolute minimum. others keep it in primary, with a lot of head-space, for a year or more. you call.

-Should i pitch another yeast to start, and bug farm after vigorus fermentation?
you can, if you want the contribution of that primary yeast. but it's not needed, BF has more than enough sacch & brett to take care of fermentation.

-has anyone made a starter with oak cubes? just wondering if I might be better to make a 2x starter and store half in the fridge for next year?
i have no experience using oak cubes, but pretty sure that this isn't the best way of maintaining the bugs. during storage, i would be afraid about exposing the wood to air and how to feed it. only brett (and then, i believe it's only certain bretts) can live off the wood. everything else will starve.

instead, get yourself a #2 stopper and an air-lock, and use a standard 12 or 22 oz beer bottle. add a little Bug Farm in there, top up with some dextrinous wort (add malto-dextrine, flour, etc) and get a mini-fermentation going in there. every few months, pour out some of the spent wort/beer and top with with some fresh wort. if you want to use some of the bugs, shake up bottle, pour out some of the beer & bugs, and then top up.

Back