OK- Who believes in UFO's?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have never been quite certain on this topic, but have always been willing to at least entertain the idea.... Until recently.. Now I am DAMN certain on the topic..

Coming back from a fishing trip with a friend recently, we both watched for three full minutes what we are 100% sure was a UFO- Was it a space craft from another planet full of little green men? I dont know.. What I do know is that it was the weirdest thing that either of has ever seen and it pretty much vanished right in front of our eyes.. A silver, cigar shaped object with flames (yes, undoubtedly FLAMES) shooting out the back end.. The flames changed colors from blue to red to green.. It moved very slowly across the sky, in broad daylight, directly above a mountain range to the north of us. We watched it move, then stop, then BLIP, it was gone! Just friggin gone! Not a cloud in the sky, no place for it go.. Just vanished..Very mysterious and very creepy.. (and no, we were not imbibing beer or anything other intoxicants!)

Anyway, I am wondering how many other of my homebrewing brethren believe in UFO's- Have you ever seen one? Do you have a story? Do you think the government is keeping it from us??

For the record, I am not a crazy anti-government conspiracy theorist.. Hell, I barely believed in the phenomenon until I saw it with my own eyes.. If any of you have an experience, please share! I know I can't be the only one who has seen something unexplained like this.

UFO= unidentified flying object

According to that, I believe that there are things that fly that I can't identify.

Aliens are another story. The tech doesn't add up; if they're able to travel through space and enter the atmosphere without being spotted on radar or visually, why can't they continue to mask their presence throughout their stay?

I also can't figure out why they would want to visit us, observation? To take us over?

If they are just observing us, what do they stand to gain? By their invisible presence and ability to abduct people at will, what are they hoping to gain? What do we do better than them?

Are they here to take over our planet? They would have already done so. They've had years to prepare and if their weapons tech is not on par with their spacecraft, they aren't that smart after all.

Again, it's all about their simultaneously amazing and insufficient technology. Just my 2¥.

I absolutely believe in life on other planets. However I think if said life had technology advanced enough to develop interstellar travel (so faster than light) they probably have better things to do than lurk around Earth occasionally raiding cattle, or anally probing folks in the South. You'd think that if a civilization was that advanced, they'd either come here and conquer us, or at the very least give us a good kick up the backside for screwing up our planet?

worthless.gif

Come on, you don't have a picture? Three minutes of viewing and not even a cell phone picture?

Well, for the last 100 yrs, we've been broadcasting our presence on this planet out into space. I agree that if they had the tech to get here, they probably could orbit or even land on the planet undetected.

Hawking: "If aliens ever visit us, I think the outcome would be much as when Christopher Columbus first landed in America, which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/...iens_n_551035.html#s84595&title=Charlie_Rose_

I've spent the last 15 years driving primarily at night for work (close to 800,000 miles) in some of the remotest backwoods of Tennessee and Kentucky. Besides a lot of shooting stars and spectacular lightning displays, not a single unexplainable thing. Much ado about nothing...

I can't speak about life (as we know it) existing elsewhere in the universe, but I have seen one of these.

The scientific evidence that we currently have says little to nothing about other forms of life, but it sure seems like a lot of wasted space if there isn't anything else out there. I think there is probably a lot of hype about and falsification of alien life, but I don't think it's something we should be seriously concerned about.

My 2p.

I have seen them a few times. Once when I was young, another time about twenty or so years ago. Those two were very similar. Very high over the trees. It was just hovering with an alternating color (red and green) light and then it vanished.

The last time was last year when I was fishing on the North Fork of Long Island. I thought I saw, coming south from Connecticut, a low flying plane with lights all across the front of the wings. It was really bright. I was wondering why it was so low and thought it was in trouble. Then, it disappeared. Just gone, no lights anywhere.

No news in CT or NY of a missing plane.

Yup I'm the same way as the OP, never really believed in anything of the such. However about 10 years ago I was spending about 4 days a week fishing real early say 4am on my boat at a local lake. This went on for about 3 years. I saw quite a few shooting stars.

One night with a buddy of mine (we were not drinking) we were sitting there fishing and all of sudden 4 lights appeared, starting at about 3 inches above horizon and then lined up perfectly going vertical. It was almost like you were staring at a Cell tower with lights. They got really bright then dimmed, but never went completely off. This lasted about 30 sec, then gone. We were both in awe. They seemed pretty dam close.

I don't know what it was, could have have been a training exercise for a nearby base. Sure was quiet though.

They're probably hovering over the Earth until they figure out we're the trailer trash of the universe, then warping outta here.

I'm originally from Pine Bush, NY which is the unofficial UFO Capital of the eastern US. Havent seen anything I couldnt explain, but that doesnt mean that there werent times when what I saw creeped me out.

If there is alien life out there, and they ARE sending vehicles of some sort into our atmosphere, I would bet that they are likely observation probes and "unmanned".

I'm a pretty hard core non-believer. Saying "I saw something in the sky and couldn't explain it" is not reason for me to believe it is space aliens. Sometimes explanations are hard to come by or take a while.

I used to suffer Sleep Paralysis when I was young, which a lot of people connect with alien contact. But I think that's silly.

I visited a local Civil War cemetery with my wife a couple years ago. While we were there, we both heard the sounds of gunfire and shouting, and assumed a reenactment was taking place nearby. It seemed pretty close but we couldn't see anything. When we got home and looked up reenactment schedules, we couldn't find any.

I'm a pretty hard skeptic but that was a doozy for me. In retrospect the most likely explanation was that there was indeed a local, unadvertised reenactment. Even if not, there are other more natural explanations; perhaps the owner of the property had installed speakers! To suggest that we had experienced something genuinely paranormal is pretty far down the list.

How I think about it is: there is always more to the world than we'll ever understand. Nevertheless, it's an intellectual misstep to posit folk explanations just because we don't quite get what has actually happened.

Still, my wife is pretty convinced we heard ghosts that day.

Did you have unexplainable butt soreness?

Reminds me of a Kids in the Hall skit where 2 aliens were discussing all the anal probes they had done for the last 50 years. One said he didn't get the point of doing them because all they had discovered was that about 10% of the human population didn't seem to mind them.

Believe in UFO's? Sure. Believe they're aliens, not so much.

My wife and daughter have both seen ghosts in our house, but I haven't. Maybe because I don't believe in ghosts and aren't looking for them. You gotta believe to see perhaps?

When I was about 12 years old my cousin and I were out playing catch in the backyard. We saw lights in the sky, got freaked out and ran inside. Watching from the window, 3 bright orbs flew down from the sky and started running a grid pattern over our yard and the adjoining cornfield about 10' off the ground. 2 ran north/ south and 1 east/west. It was very fast. One stopped dead, like it hit a brick wall. The other 2 flew over to it, they circled the point a few times, then the 3 lights adjoined and they shot straight up into the sky and out of sight. We never told anyone, since we were kids we were afraid of getting in trouble for lying.

A few nights later, my aunt picked us up from baseball practice a little late. She said she was watching a series of lights in a field a mile or two from my house. She perfectly described what we saw in my yard a few nights earlier.

I personally would not be surprised by it although I am not a die hard believer. If not for the middle ages we would probably already have unlocked the secrets of deep space travel. Something about religion outlawing scientific progress for the better part of a millenium really puts a damper on the whole space travel thing. Just food for thought.

Do I believe in UFO's, absolutely yes I do. By definition a UFO is any object unidentified and flying. People see stuff that meets that criteria everyday. Do I believe that aliens are visiting us absolutely NO. Do I believe there is other intelligent life out there someplace in the galaxy Yes.

Do I believe aliens are visiting just to shove metal rods up our collective arses? No. Do I believe that intelligent life exists in this universe capable of creating forms of transportation far more technologically advanced than our own? Yes.

As to why aliens may visit the earth I can think of a few plausible reasons that do not involve raping the earths resources or us. One theory that I could see would be visiting here like we would the zoo. Another thought based on how far you want to stretch the theory of the aliens advancements would be the equivalent of their teenagers screwing with us for the entertainment value. Hopefully it's not for the alien version of reality tv though as that would just be wrong on so many levels.

As to life out there, its tough to doubt that there are many potential places for it to exist.
Just in our solar system, which we thought was cold and uninhabitable outside Earth, we find warm wet places on Mars, Europa, Titan and Enceladus. Couple that with the dawning realization as to just how common and numerous planetary systems are in the galaxy...well?
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...f-planets-number-of-known-exoplanets-soaring/

As to life out there, its tough to doubt that there are many potential places for it to exist.
Just in our solar system, which we thought was cold and uninhabitable outside Earth, we find warm wet places on Mars, Europa, Titan and Enceladus. Couple that with the dawning realization as to just how common and numerous planetary systems are in the galaxy...well?
http://blogs.scientificamerican.com...f-planets-number-of-known-exoplanets-soaring/

The flip side is, this doesn't mean the life is out there right now and in visiting distance of us. There could be a million planets out there that have supported intelligent life one time or another. The chances of any of it intersecting with us is practically nil.

But for some reason people think they'd be fixated with us.

I think there's life out there but if they're advanced enough to make it here, they'd be advanced enough to not be interested in is. And even if they were, they'd then be advanced enough to visit without us knowing if they so desired.

.....The chances of any of it intersecting with us is practically nil.

I'm not sure how you can say this any certainty. Take the Drake equation. You can get wildly different results by tweaking one of several inputs that we have no idea of reasonable values. Plus, we are just speaking of our galaxy. A far evolved race may have developed intergalactic travel.

As many have said in this thread before that by definition if something is flying and you don't know what it is, then its a UFO.

Also I have no doubt that we are not the only life in the universe. However I am a person who believes in logic and odds. If an alien civilization has the technology to fly across the galaxy to Earth, they likely have the technology to make sure we don't see them.

Same thing with something like the Moon landings. Sure you could point out how unlikely it would be that thousands of people could keep what might be the biggest secret in human history, but the simplest proof IMO is that our rivals and only other military superpower in the world knows that the Apollo missions we're real.

could be subconscious - I wasn't specifically referencing the Hitchhiker's guide but I've read them all years ago...'bout time for a re-read!

UFOs...

Do I think that humans are the only sentient creatures in the universe? No, that would just be arrogant. Unfortunately we are on the far outer tip of a spiral arm on the Milky Way universe. We are so far away from other stars we would have to have some sort of "preservation device" or be able to fold space. Folding space is much easier on an atomic level than on what we require.

Do I think there may be trans dimensional beings? Possibly but mostly unlikely.

Why is it that aliens only abduct the most remotely located and uneducated people from otherwise "logical choices"?

Do I believe that a stealth weapon (like a bomber) is a stealth weapon if everyone else knows what it is? not so much...

Hmmmmm....sound like fishing is a common denominator here for those who claim to have seen them. I belive 4 people here calim to have seen one and 3 were fishing.

Hmmmmm....sound like fishing is a common denominator here for those who claim to have seen them. I belive 4 people here calim to have seen one and 3 were fishing.

The missing connection between the two is.... drinking beer? :)

The missing connection between the two is.... drinking beer? :)

Mmmm... beer.... and aliens..

Seriously though, it just seems like there are too many people that have stories for it all to be a BS. Lot's of videos and stories floating around. I don't think aliens are abducting people, but I think they could be curious onlookers.

Mmmm... beer.... and aliens..

Seriously though, it just seems like there are too many people that have stories for it all to be a BS. Lot's of videos and stories floating around. I don't think aliens are abducting people, but I think they could be curious onlookers.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a dream as a kid that I was abducted by aliens. It was very vivid and lifelike, to the point that I honestly thought it was real for a while. Today I know it could not be though because I didn't have any rectal soreness or itch. :mug:

Nibiru is coming, it's the return of the anunnaki get your gold ready boys it's galactic alignment

Back