Airlock fell off during lagering.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseP

Reaction score
So, I've had a Helles lagering in my fridge for about 2.5 weeks now, and I just noticed that the airlock was knocked off by someone putting beer on top of the fermenter. I'm guessing this occurred last Tuesday when we ran out of room in the fridge. It hasn't really been fermenting since then, so I'm wondering if the beer got oxidized over the past 6 days. The fridge is sitting around 45 degrees. Any help would be appreciated.

This happened to me once - maybe 30 years ago - when the airlock was knocked of for 2 days. Mine worked out OK.

If you are very lucky there was a layer of CO2 remaining over the beer AND no nasty microbes made their way into the fermenter.

If it were mine I would keg or bottle it ASAP and hope for the best. I wouldn't plan on keeping it to long though.

Some people do completely open fermentations with no issues at all. I wouldn't worry - and besides - there isn't anything you can do now anyway. Put the airlock on and cross your fingers.

Probably fine. Wouldn't worry too much about oxidation. Just don't keep this brew around for a year. I also doubt it got exposed to anything really nasty, so you should be okay.

Back