Bad Trade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
giphy.gif

Perhaps you and Remmy have a similar trader. Unlikely but not impossible. I would have though the percentage of traders on HBT who would stiff someone would be really small. Shows my naivete I guess.

The least you should do is post a negative review on his/her itrader. You don't need to be rude or anything else. Just state the facts so others can read and be their own judge. There is no rhyme or reason to this sort of caddish chicanery.

The man is no gentleman.. There I've said it, let the cards fall where they will.

Perhaps you and Remmy have a similar trader. Unlikely but not impossible. I would have though the percentage of traders on HBT who would stiff someone would be really small. Shows my naivete I guess.

The least you should do is post a negative review on his/her itrader. You don't need to be rude or anything else. Just state the facts so others can read and be their own judge. There is no rhyme or reason to this sort of caddish chicanery.

The man is no gentleman.. There I've said it, let the cards fall where they will.

I don't think it would be possible for the same person to get by with that kind of *****ebaggery for very long on here. I could see someone showing up, creating a throwaway username, and screwing someone over, but doing it repeatedly while maintaining an active presence on the forum is just begging for a public shaming.

I don't think it would be possible for the same person to get by with that kind of *****ebaggery for very long on here. I could see someone showing up, creating a throwaway username, and screwing someone over, but doing it repeatedly while maintaining an active presence on the forum is just begging for a public shaming.

Verily. He for himself weaves woe who weaves for others woe, and evil counsel on the counselor recoils.

Well, finding him was exceptionally easy.

But I'll leave it to @Mexibilly lol.

Edit: based on feedback and who he's traded with in the past, I would have traded with him too.

Pretty sure I figured this one out, but I still wanna see what happens. If you haven't heard back by now & he's been active on here you probably won't hear from him.

If he fails to follow through, we should make him the first recipient of the HBT Razzie Award.

My only thoughts on the award specifics, are that it should be shaped like a carboy with tongs inside it, delivered by @Billy-Klubb.

Dem berries gonna be sooooooore.

Gonna look like Paquiao on the speed bag.

Also, this is why I am hesitant to jump on the trade game. If I buy beer, I wanna drink beer.

It helps to start off with people you know you can count on. I've only traded with one HBTer (and it went fine), but usually I rely on out-of-town friends that I know I can trust.

That, and if they stiff me I know where to find them. :goat:

It was. I prefer to give the benefit of the doubt within a reasonable time frame based on his sharing some issues he had going on. My thing is I have zero experience to know what reasonable is.
This is what I was fishing for, some advice from experienced traders

What issues did he share with you? That may have some bearing here... Maybe...

I'd feel like a d**k if I did that and found out he had a legitimate reason.
That being said, he's been active on here within less than 2 weeks, but no update

This is pretty damning in my opinion. If he logged in here, he has no excuse why he couldn't send you a quick pm at the very least.

This isn't always true, however. I used to be active on a gun forum, which had a very active trading subforum. One guy, who had done dozens of good trades, and was a known active poster, royally screwed another member out of thousands of dollars. As it turns out, he fell on hard times, and scammed a few members until people caught on, and law enforcement was involved.

Sorry to hear op. I recently did my first trade and had a scare where the guy went radio silence for a few days after I shipped. Turns out a personal matter came up but he did ship.

Unfortunately the packaging was insufficient and 10/12 beers leaked and/or got oxidized. Still got hosed on that trade but stuff happens I guess. At least it wasn't malicious intent...

Agreed. Pretty sure the tornado passed through my liver 7 hours ago after crushing the first 3-4 beers.

I got to leave work early today... Give me another hour or two and I will join your liver tornado and see you one...

I think by trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt you are harming the community unintentionally. Bad traders need to be called out. This stuff should be handled with transparency. Going 6 weeks with no communication makes someone a bad trader, plain and simple. Most other trading subsections of forums at least have a moderator who can ban bad traders or put them on probation after a bad trade. Surprised HBT doesn't do that.

I think by trying to give this guy the benefit of the doubt you are harming the community unintentionally. Bad traders need to be called out. This stuff should be handled with transparency. Going 6 weeks with no communication makes someone a bad trader, plain and simple. Most other trading subsections of forums at least have a moderator who can ban bad traders or put them on probation after a bad trade. Surprised HBT doesn't do that.

You're not the first to misread the original post.
It was 3 weeks with no communication.
I agree if this were a scammer and I let it go it would do us all a disservice, but I always trust my intuition, and spoke via PM with some experienced traders concerning the situation.
A day or 2 after the original post I was contacted by the trader in question and the situation was exactly as I believed it was.
The package, significantly sweetened, is on its way.
I wouldn't have engaged in a high dollar trade if I didn't feel confident about it.
Going forward I'll continue to trust my intuition and will definitely not enter into a situation that feels like a possible burn.
Look for pics to come...

Wait wait wait.......after all that, we can't publicly shame someone? This is ridiculous.

Glad to hear things worked out for you. Life gets complicated sometimes and hobbies get pushed to the background. I was going to offer you something from my cellar as a consolation prize, but now that your beer is on the way, no need. So lets all return to directing our internet rage (inter-rage?) to other things such as Korean spammers and off-topic posters.

Trade on! :mug:

Wait wait wait.......after all that, we can't publicly shame someone? This is ridiculous.

Glad to hear things worked out for you. Life gets complicated sometimes and hobbies get pushed to the background. I was going to offer you something from my cellar as a consolation prize, but now that your beer is on the way, no need. So lets all return to directing our internet rage (inter-rage?) to other things such as Korean spammers and off-topic posters.

Trade on! :mug:

Thanks dude. I was amazed at the offers of good beer to console my apparent loss.
It makes me want to send random people good beer : ))

Hmmm...this was anti-climactic. I was hoping that in the series finale, we'd get more GoT-style action, but instead it was more like the last episode of Lost.

Seriously, though, I'm glad it worked out for the best for you.

I never questioned my faith in the basic goodness of men, especially beer drinkers.
If anything, this experience has given me a greater understanding of the virtue of patience, good will among beer drinking men, and an altogether greater respect for those who share my passion for a well done pint.
I hope to have the opportunity to trade with as many like-minded people as I can for many years to come.

I never questioned my faith in the basic goodness of men, especially beer drinkers.

If anything, this experience has given me a greater understanding of the virtue of patience, good will among beer drinking men, and an altogether greater respect for those who share my passion for a well done pint.

I hope to have the opportunity to trade with as many like-minded people as I can for many years to come.

I'm really glad it worked out for you. I only really see you in the Music Match thread, but I think we'd like each other in that admittedly superficial level.

And beer, we like beer. That's two. Do you enjoy both at the same time?

I'm really glad it worked out for you. I only really see you in the Music Match thread, but I think we'd like each other in that admittedly superficial level.

And beer, we like beer. That's two. Do you enjoy both at the same time?

That's a silly question 1977.
And reminds me of a funny story that's way too long to share in the detail it requires...

Package received.
No bubble wrap on the bottom, sides or top.
Beers wrapped in a single layer of the smaller style bubble wrap.
5 of the originally agreed upon 8 beers were included, one of them in box 1, 12oz PB, was 2/3 empty and box destroyed.
Box 2 contained a pretty good variety of others with one shattered stout bottle.
Would have preferred the agreed upon beers, but my buddy got 2 extra and I get to try some others I've never tried.
Working on attaching multiple pics and their orientation...

image.jpg

Back