heater element question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_potter

Reaction score
I have a question about an element that I have and plan on using in my MLT RIMS tube. It is a Richmond RP10868LH 120v/1440w resistored stainless steel element. I can't seem to find out what watt density this is. I have even called their tech support but they have untrained phone operators and were no help. Does anyone on here use this element in their rig or how do I determine (without ruining 10 gallons of wort) if this will scorch wort?:confused:

I think it would just be total wattage divided by surface area of the element. So if the element was a 10" long u-shape, the total length if un-bent would be approx. 21 or 22" depending on the bend radius. The surface area of a cylinder is pi*D*H where D is the diameter and H is the length. So I don't know the exact dimensions of your element, but if the element diameter was 1/4" and the length was 10" (22" un-bent), then the watt density should be approx 83 W/sq.in. I could be wrong, but that sounds right to me. I think an ULWD element is in the <50 W/sq.in range. That is ideal for not scorching. In any case, I think scorching has more to do with the flow rate over the element. Too slow and it will burn.

That is pretty much what I needed to know. I calculated this element at about 87 w/inch. Would this fall in the LWD area? What is the range of an LWD element? Or better yet, What are the ranges for ULWD, LWD, MWD, and HWD elements? Also, does the material of construction effect heat transfer and possible scorching?

It's more than likely this Rheem SP10868KL 120V, 1440W, 7-5/8" HWD Copper Heating Element

since Richmond = Rheem and similar part number, of course one is copper and the other SS, so who knows?

Stick with UL or L, Ive messed with all kinds, and love the UL, never had a problem with them, and ran it dry for a wile on accident, burning the wart when my valve clogged.
But other than that i have opened it up every time to check if there was burnt wort. Never found any with it.

I dont think it matters what it is, copper or ss. they both will be in the liquid and transfering the same amount of energy to the liquid.

Back