CO2 Pressure & Beer Line Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centex99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know to make them ~10' to not have any issues... my hefe will be at 20-25psi and 10' works out to a good pour from the calculators... but will ales that are down in the 3-5psi still pour with a 10' hose and 2-3' from center of keg to faucet height of a standard collared freezer? I don't care if they take a long time to pour, just that they will actually come out...

Thanks

I set all my line lengths to balance out the highest carbonated beer that I plan on serving (12'). If I serve a lower carbonated beer on that line the only thing that happens is a slightly lower rate of pour. I serve my root beer, carbonated to 4 volumes of CO2, through 35' of line.

35'? Does it need to be that long or just is? I plan to have a hefe at 4 volumes, but figured 10-12' would be sufficient... I plan to make all of mine the same length, just wasn't sure if there was a minimum pressure that you could run with 12' lines... or if even as little as 1psi would push it through and overcome the lines/gravity but just go slowly at it...

I serve my heavily carbonated Hefe's through my 12' line with no problems. 4.0 volumes is too high for a hefe in my opinion. More like 2.7 to 3 volumes max. 18 psi will get you 3 volumes at 40˚F and will serve fine through 12' of line, considering the rule of thumb of 2 psi drop in pressure for every 1' of 3/16" ID thick walled beverage tubing. Even if you have a line length that mathematically would cancel out flow, based on the 2 psi/ft rule of thumb, you would still have flow, albeit very slow.

Root beer, on the other hand, is another story! The high sugar content and high volume of CO2 cause it to foam severely during a pour with a standard length of beer line. The rule of thumb of 2psi/ft does not work well with soda, if carbonated to the levels we are accustomed to with store bought soda. I keep my root beer set to 30psi and serve it through 35' of beverage tubing and get a nice, slow, perfect pour with minimal foaming.

Back