Keezer Maintenance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 Dog Brew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I bought a brand new chest freezer about 2 years ago and after spending some time as an aging cooler, keezer, I've started to develop little rust stains here and there. Before they become full on pits in the finish, what would y'all recommend for cleaning this up a little. I thought it was just beer slopped on the inside, so I tried cleaning with 409 which is how I discovered that it is rust not just beer.

Ideas?

Well, this might be a little over kill, but what I use for cleaning up car parts is KBS rust blast, and the following sealer. RustBlast will completely clean out any rust you have, and then seal it up with RustSeal, and you will never had a problem again. Ever. Even if you live for a thousand years. I put this stuff on the undercarriage of a car I am building and I am pretty sure it is actually bullet proof.

Might be a little out of budget for just a keezer though.

Might be a little out of budget for just a keezer though.

Therein lies the problem, any fix worth doing will be costly and time consuming. IMHO, let her age gracefully. I think it is likely that the keezer box will still outlive the rest of the unit.

But of course, best of luck in your efforts.

Barkeepers Friend is a great product for removing rust. I've used it to restore some pretty nasty looking cast iron woodworking equipment with good results. It can be found at most Home Depot or Lowes stores with the cleaning supplies.

Back