German lager recipes anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddog68

Reaction score
.....So i was at my local microbrewery yesterday and my buddy there gave me some yeast, 2 WL So. German lager, and 2 WL oktoberfest lager. Anyone out there have any recipe suggestions? I saw biermunchers oktoberfast ale, but i would like to use pale 2 row for my base (since i already have it). I have never brewed a lager before, so any other tips would be greatly appreciated. I think i will brew 10 gallons, and use the two different yeasts. I would assume that a yeast starter would be in order.
Thanks Y'all!:mug:

If you want to make an oktoberfest most recipes are going to call for pils malt, it's the traditional choice.

I'd think you could get away with standard american 2-row in that recipe though... I hear great things (looking to brew it myself soon).

Either way it'll be good. Make a big farkin' starter, aerate well, and ferment around 50*F. I haven't used those yeasts so I don't know if a diacetyl rest is required, it can't hurt to do 3-4 days at 65*F or so before lagering...

Right on, thanks guys. I think i will do some variation of the oktoberfast and see what i get. I never really follow recipes anyway. Hopefully i can wait for this to finish, i am a little impatient(this is why i haven't brewed a lager yet).:cross:

Are you all squared away with temperature control? You'll need to do primary fermentation at ~50°F (approx 2 weeks), a diacetyl rest if you need/want to at ~60-65°F (~2 days), and lagering at ~33°F (usually 4-6 weeks depending on OG), while having the capability, for any temperature reductions, of stepping down temps by 5°F per day.

You could make a great Helles with the following:
97% German Pilsener Malt
3% Carapils Malt
Choice or a combination of German Noble Hops (Hallertauer, Tettnang, Hersbrucker, etc.) with ~20 IBUs added only for bittering (and maybe a smidgen for aroma at 1 min).

For a single infusion mash, mash in the low 150s°F for 60 min, about 2 qts water per pound grain. For decoction or step mash, use ~133°F, ~156°F, and mashout at 168°F. Boil for 90 minutes, adding bittering hops at 60.

With any lager, you'll need to dig deep for that patience you don't have!;)

menschmashine-This the info i am looking for, thanks. Got the hops covered, i am going to shoot for IBUs around 25. I am glad to see my usual mash methods will work. I do need to work on my temp control, i have a fridge with a controller-but it is full of beer right now! I see another project in my future...
I was hoping to primary around 65, is that too high? Thats about the temp i keep the house. The garage is about 50, i guess i could just put it in there.
....Now if i can just make it for 8 weeks:D

menschmashine-This the info i am looking for, thanks. Got the hops covered, i am going to shoot for IBUs around 25. I am glad to see my usual mash methods will work. I do need to work on my temp control, i have a fridge with a controller-but it is full of beer right now! I see another project in my future...
I was hoping to primary around 65, is that too high? Thats about the temp i keep the house. The garage is about 50, i guess i could just put it in there.
....Now if i can just make it for 8 weeks:D

Not that it matters (brew what you like:)), but if you are brewing a Helles, 25 IBUs is slightly high for a Helles. If your garage is a constant 50 (or with little variability), primary ferment in there and diacetyl rest in your house. You'll still need to lager in the low 30s though (and ease the temperature down to that level so as to not shock the yeast). Good luck!

Back