WLP002 dry substitute?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morbo

Reaction score
Brewing tomorrow at a buddies and don't have the time or materials to do a starter. Any recommendations on a dry yeast that could come close?

Any thoughts on Safale s-04?

S-04 would be a better substitute to WLP002 than Nottingham. The fuller's strain is a bit fruity as english yeasts usually are, and under attenuates to leave a nice sweetness behind. Nottingham is NOT fruity and is a strong attenuator. It's a great yeast, but not as a WLP002 substitute. Go with S-04.

EDIT: I've also heard that Danstar Windsor is quite fruity and finishes sweet, but I've heard that it's not reliable.

S-04 would be a better substitute to WLP002 than Nottingham. The fuller's strain is a bit fruity as english yeasts usually are, and under attenuates to leave a nice sweetness behind. Nottingham is NOT fruity and is a strong attenuator. It's a great yeast, but not as a WLP002 substitute. Go with S-04.

EDIT: I've also heard that Danstar Windsor is quite fruity and finishes sweet, but I've heard that it's not reliable.

My bad, you are correct, Notty is a super strong fermenter, and will over-attenuate in comparison to WLP002. Sorry bout that bad info.

Back