Substitute Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
My favorite recipe is an English ESB which I generally make with Safale-05. I was going to brew tomorrow, but I’m all out of 05 and have packages of Nottingham, Bry-97 and Belle Saison on hand. Would any of these work? Thanks.

Nottingham is an English ale yeast and I would say the best suited for an ESB, of your options. Better suited than US05 too. But you may prefer US05, there are no rules. I've tried US05 in English pales and it's not quite right to me, too clean. Nottingham is very clean for an English yeast, though, not dramatically different from US05. That would be my choice.

I’ll go with the Nottingham and give it a chance. The recipe I initially used called for “05” and it has worked well. One year, again out of that I tried “04”, that was a mistake, the off flavors certainly changed the beer and not in a good way.

Well, fermentation appears to be done, only 8 days out. It got pretty busy for a few days. Krausen has crashed and the beer is pretty clear with only a few foams of krausen remaining on top The Nottingham yeast flocculated and settled nicely to the bottom of the fermenter. I haven’t taken a SG reading yet.

So far so good IMO, my question at this point since this is a new yeast to me, how long should it sit for a diacetyl rest, temperatures are in the mid-60F or so right now. I can kick it up a bit if needed. Not sure if I should be more involved in the “clean-up” or just let it do its thing over a certain amount of time. When I used US-05, I just let it sit for a couple of weeks and got a tasty consistent beer. Not sure how the Nottingham reacts during the rest or how much “clean-up” I need for an USB?

If it’s a wait and see, how long before I can keg it? Thanks for the help, always learning.

I am increasingly risk-adverse as beer gets closer to "done" so rather than tempt fate I would immediately warm the beer to 67-68°F and let it sit for at least a couple of days before moving on. Shouldn't take more than that...

Cheers!

Thanks, I brought it upstairs where the temp is around 68F. Should be good as far as the diacetyl rest goes.
Another question related to Nottingham, usually I use gelatin to clear my beer, getting crystal clear pours. Should I continue this with Nottingham, or due to its high flocculation will it clear on its own? I do use Whirlfloc at the end of the brew, is that enough or should I go with fining with gelatin? Thanks again, always learning.

Thanks, I brought it upstairs where the temp is around 68F. Should be good as far as the diacetyl rest goes.
Another question related to Nottingham, usually I use gelatin to clear my beer, getting crystal clear pours. Should I continue this with Nottingham, or due to its high flocculation will it clear on its own? I do use Whirlfloc at the end of the brew, is that enough or should I go with fining with gelatin? Thanks again, always learning.
Notty will clear up on its own without any other help.

Back