need help from the pros

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pantherbrew

Reaction score
This last weekend I was in the UP of michigan and stopped at a brewry and snapped a pic with my phone of one of the beers ddescription. It was a dark wheat. The profile read like this.

An American Wheat ale, brewed with dark bakers cocoa and chocolate wheat malt.Bitter with a smooth pleasingfinish and just enough hops ABV 5.2%

Any idea of a good receipe for this. It was a great tasting beer.

American wheat beer is usually just 50/50 wheat malt and barley malt brewed using a neutral yeast like US-05 or Wyeast 1056. (you can use Wheat malt extract instead of the grains)
So if you add some chocolate wheat malt (probably 4-8 oz) and some cocoa you would have the basics. The devil is ofcourse in the details. Having never brewed using chocolate I would not be able to guess how much to use. However based on the chocolate porters and stouts I see I would guess less than a pound. For a wheat beer probably between 2oz for a touch of chocolate and 8oz for a chocolaty beer.

Craig

being a former prof. cook, i know that baker's chocolate is quite bitter. also, chocolate is very tempurature sensative. boiling it could be wierd. i wouldn't even know where to start with the hops.

I have used chocolate three or four times in some stouts that I have made, never had to many issues. Then again I have always used unsweetened cocoa powder and never more than 4 oz.

There is an interesting thread about chocolate going on here.

EDIT: As for the hops I would go with Tett for the bittering and maybe cascade for flavor. Or maybe none at all since you have the chocolate in there.

This last weekend I was in the UP of michigan and stopped at a brewry and snapped a pic with my phone of one of the beers ddescription. It was a dark wheat. The profile read like this.

An American Wheat ale, brewed with dark bakers cocoa and chocolate wheat malt.Bitter with a smooth pleasingfinish and just enough hops ABV 5.2%

Any idea of a good receipe for this. It was a great tasting beer.

Which brewery? There are only about 4, so I probably have had the beer and can figure it out.

Nope. More like a stupid question on my part.

Never ran across it before.

I've seen it at several online homebrew shops. It is basically just like chocolate malt except wheat instead of barley. Perfect for dunkelweizen's or roggenbiers.

Craig

I've seen it at several online homebrew shops. It is basically just like chocolate malt except wheat instead of barley. Perfect for dunkelweizen's or roggenbiers.

Craig

I'd try the chocolate rye malt from Weyermann for the roggenbier before the chocolate wheat. I want to get a mess of the chocolate rye for an American Rye Stout I'm building a recipe for.

:mug:

I'd try the chocolate rye malt from Weyermann for the roggenbier before the chocolate wheat. I want to get a mess of the chocolate rye for an American Rye Stout I'm building a recipe for.

:mug:

Chocolate rye sounds interesting. Have you found an online shop that sells it?

The brewry was in Marquette in the UP. Son was visiting Michigan tech so we hit the 2 in Houghton and the one in Marquette. it started with a ver???????????

Back