Imperial Stout Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blootster

Reaction score
I've been tinkering with a new stout recipe for months, and can't seem to decide on the grain bill and wanted to get your thoughts.

The inspiration for this beer comes from Side Project's barrel aged stouts (Derivation, BBT, OWK, etc), and the goal for this beer is to be large at 15+ % ABV, with the intent to be aged on multiple types of oak. It should be smooth and velvety, and have layered and intense chocolate (dark and milk chocolate) flavors, with hints of char/coconut/vanilla while being decadent and full. My hope is to build something large enough to withstand long aging periods on oak cubes and possible adjuncts down the road. One of my main concerns is with mash PH and other adverse mash conditions due to the amount of dark grains, and I am starting to lean towards using roasted barley instead of prinz for fear of lacking roast in the grain bill..

Recipe: LINK

Batch Size: 5.5 G
Boil: 180 minutes
Target OG: 1.145+
Target FG: 1.045+
IBU: 70+
ABV: 15%
Efficiency: 60%

Malt Bill:
25.0 lbs Golden Promise
8.0 lbs Munich 20L
2.12 lbs Flaked Oats
1.7 lbs UK Pale Chocolate 207L
1.0 lbs American Chocolate 350L
2.2 lbs Crystal 80L
0.75 lbs Blackprinz 500L

Hops:
Single bittering addition @ 60 minutes - 70 ibu

Yeast:
WLP001 step starter / WLP 090 super yeast

Water Profile:
Black Full from Bru'n Water - built from RO/Distilled water
Calcium: 50
Magnesium: 5
Sodium: 33
Sulfate: 35
Chloride: 45
Bicarb: 150+

Mash:
(split into 2 x 10 gallon igloo coolers)
Single Infusion @ 152 degrees - this will be first runnings only, and I feel that fermentability is the primary concerns as plenty of body/sugars should be left after fermentation.

Secondary:
Based on the resulting flavor, I plan to combine 1-2 bourbons, multiple types of oak, and possibly vanilla, cinnamon, or other adjuncts

Pale, brown, amber and black malts are pretty much all that I use in my stouts. 1.145 is pretty damned big even for an imperial stout. Historically the highest OG's were around 1.109. Many more were in the 1.065 to 1.095 range. Granted some of the lower strength ones were due to wartime, taxes, shortages and other external factors.

Back