Trub/Hop Filter from BrewersHardware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used mine for the first time and it was a nightmare too. I have a 1" dip tube and 1" butterfly valve so I was hoping there would be enough flow to have it in front of the pump (hooked directly to the BK via a 90° 1" elbow like in the pic on the test page). Nope. The filter clogged instantly in a batch with 3oz of hop pellets (and a whirfloc tablet, maybe that is related, idk). I will try putting it after the pump but this thread almost makes me think I shouldn't waste my time. I also got a version of the filter that HAS to use a screen, as the holes are quite large (like 1/4"?).

What do you mean you got a version that needs to have a screen? Is this something new? Maybe your screen was too small?

Explain a bit more about the setup you used.

What do you mean you got a version that needs to have a screen? Is this something new? Maybe your screen was too small?

Explain a bit more about the setup you used.

I haven't read this entire thread, but maybe one of the newer models? I know they have different sizes now.

We have two filters. We do not use any thing but the filter itself without any mesh covering

we run
MLT => Pump => Filter => Herms => MLT

We do vorloft the before starting the Herms. This seems to help a lot.

Curious - why do you filter during the mash? Doesn't recirculating through the grain bed filter sufficiently on its own? There may be something obvious I'm missing - but I started drinking homebrew early today (I try to do it often, as it gives me an excuse to ask stupid questions like this one).

Used mine for the first time and it was a nightmare too. I have a 1" dip tube and 1" butterfly valve so I was hoping there would be enough flow to have it in front of the pump (hooked directly to the BK via a 90° 1" elbow like in the pic on the test page). Nope. The filter clogged instantly in a batch with 3oz of hop pellets (and a whirfloc tablet, maybe that is related, idk). I will try putting it after the pump but this thread almost makes me think I shouldn't waste my time. I also got a version of the filter that HAS to use a screen, as the holes are quite large (like 1/4"?).

Had the same issue, damn thing is a nightmare. Clogs to **** with pellet hops. I have it as its exiting my plumbing to the fermenter if it needs to catch something. never does. I went ahead and purchased a hop basket. to throw pellets in.

Curious - why do you filter during the mash? Doesn't recirculating through the grain bed filter sufficiently on its own? There may be something obvious I'm missing - but I started drinking homebrew early today (I try to do it often, as it gives me an excuse to ask stupid questions like this one).

We filter because I run the Mash through a HERMS and do not want anything to get stuck inside the HERMS. We now vorloft before we Herms and now the filter has very little in it. Before, it had a fair amount of grain particles.

Any new results with this filter. Now that there is a new design out, I wonder which is best. I am interested in this product and so far the results are really mixed.

I use it to run my wort through once, with the small filter screen they sell. It has been a while but I think it is .2 micron?

You definitely cannot chill it and recirculate or it will clog on you. Also, I've had issues with the standard filter clogging, even with one pass, so I think the smaller filter is the way to go.

Honestly it is really expensive and a PITA to setup BUT it does seem to prevent most of the garbage getting into my plate chiller.

If there is a better solution out there I would roll with that but you can get it to work. Just not as ideal as I would like, especially for the price point

Latest posts

Back