Where to buy propane?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockfordWhite

Reaction score
Hey, I just moved to mass from ohio and I was looking to do my first brew day this weekend and I noticed that no gas stations sell propane like back home.... Where do people get their tanks and/or filled? I live in the medford area, and am hoping to get some tomorrow (Saturday)

I'm not in your area but I have a same problem. All of the suburb gas stations have gone to Blue Rhino. I have to drive about 7 miles to get to a place that fills propane. Of course, I have to drive 4 miles to get to anything anyway.

I would recommend calling around to uHauls, stores that sell farm or ranching gear/equipment, heavy equipment rental shops, and storage unit places.

I'm not in MA, but a quick bit of searching tells me there is a BJ's wholesale club in Medford. They do offer propane fills. Here in PA, it's $8.99 for members, and $11.99 for non-members.

Not going to help the OP thirty-something miles east of me, but I just filled two cylinders at the BJ's in Hudson this morning. They're my go-to fill station, only 10 minutes from Casa DT.

Between their propane and gasoline prices it totally justifies the annual membership fee...

Cheers!

Look for a Robinson's or Ace hardware or some such (Aubuchon etc) Any of those should do fills as well. Maybe a google search for propane Medford?

Just as a nerdy bit of info, Blue Rhino only fills their 20lb tanks to a net of 15 lbs. Read the fine print. I think its a bit misleading, and helped push me over the edge to buying my own tanks.

+1 on BJ's, when I lived near one they were by far the cheapest.

BJ's is the best price hands down, but not sure if they fill 100% or 75%. UHaul pricing varies, but I've seen as high as $3.95 a gallon. At 4.7 gallons (100%, 20#) that's still better than Blue Rhino at 75%.

Yep. The UHaul on Alewife Brook Parkway (Medford/Somerville/Arlington line) is where I used to use when living in Arlington, and is convenient for west Medford at least.

The Ace Hardware in Arlington is exchange only.

I live in RI and almost all of the gas stations do exchanges as well as hardware stores, some convenience stores, dollar stores etc. They are pricey. Look for heating oil distributors, a lot of them also deal in propane. If one is local they may have a filling site. Also check your local building materials store. Not Home Depot or Lowes, as far as I know they only do exchanges and again - pricey. I am lucky I have a Humphreys building supply less than a mile away.

Latest posts

Back