Nitrogen: Where & What to Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iowa Brewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
Thinking of setting my keg system up for nitro. I'm finding plenty of tanks & regulators online, but where does one go to to get the gas and is there a specific type needed (food save vs. industrial, or something like that)? Thanks!

I purchase “Beer Gas” (guinness mix - 75/25 Co2/N2) which would be used for a nitrogenated product with a stout faucet like stouts and some ales. Then there is also a 60/40 mix which would be used for a remote draw system where your lines were very long and the additional pressure was needed - this gas might be used for a restaurant where kegs were in a walk in cooler in the basement and they had insulated glycol trunk lines going from walk-in to taps in the bar area.

Supplier near me is Maine Oxy which is primarily a welding gas supplier but also deals in beverage grade Co2 and N2 gasses. Welding suppliers are usually a good source. note that the beer gas can come in different % mixtures for different end uses.

I personally don’t see a value in Buying gas tanks as you also take in the task of recertification every 5 years. So i go with exchange instead. Maine Oxy will exchange even out-of-certification tanks for new/certified if they gave me the original ones and so not having to deal with that is a big hassle-eliminator for me. My beer gas tanks are always steel but my CO2 are aluminum 5# tanks. My regulators are all tap right or micromatic brand and the gas supplier also sells regulators and gas related parts if needed.

I purchase “Beer Gas” (guinness mix - 75/25 Co2/N2) which would be used for a nitrogenated product with a stout faucet like stouts and some ales. Then there is also a 60/40 mix which would be used for a remote draw system where your lines were very long and the additional pressure was needed - this gas might be used for a restaurant where kegs were in a walk in cooler in the basement and they had insulated glycol trunk lines going from walk-in to taps in the bar area.

Supplier near me is Maine Oxy which is primarily a welding gas supplier but also deals in beverage grade Co2 and N2 gasses. Welding suppliers are usually a good source. note that the beer gas can come in different % mixtures for different end uses.

I personally don’t see a value in Buying gas tanks as you also take in the task of recertification every 5 years. So i go with exchange instead. Maine Oxy will exchange even out-of-certification tanks for new/certified if they gave me the original ones and so not having to deal with that is a big hassle-eliminator for me. My beer gas tanks are always steel but my CO2 are aluminum 5# tanks. My regulators are all tap right or micromatic brand and the gas supplier also sells regulators and gas related parts if needed.
Very nice. Thanks Rawlus!

What are you guys paying for a “5lb” 75/25 mix exchange?

Nice, same as I paid at my LHBS. Was my first tank. I spoke with them prior to going to beer gas and they said I could swap in a CO2 tank. I had an old out of date tank I got off Craigslist.

Back