Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is beau.
image6-66848.jpeg

He'll be a year next week.
He is awesome. Beau came into our lives after the death of Cooper, another great Pittbull.
image8-66850.jpeg

Beau was born 4-days after Coop died. Interesting; how much you can love dogs.
image-4117510659-74be16979710d4c4e7c6647856088456.png

My little buddy - Cooper. He's so smart and loving. I'm sure we all say this, but he's the best dog! My wife (SWIMBO?) and I rescued him when he was 1.5 years old. Now he's a little over 5 and thriving!

IMG_3441.jpg

@Kharnynb - I just looked up Keeshonds on the AKC site, they are great-looking dogs. The puppies are adorable! They say they get up to a maximum of 40 pounds (18kg), but it seems like yours looks larger, even accounting for the fluffy coat.

Thanks for letting us know what the breed is, I have been wondering since I saw your av the first time.

@Kharnynb - I just looked up Keeshonds on the AKC site, they are great-looking dogs. The puppies are adorable! They say they get up to a maximum of 40 pounds (18kg), but it seems like yours looks larger, even accounting for the fluffy coat.

Thanks for letting us know what the breed is, I have been wondering since I saw your av the first time.
You're welcome, Hilma is a very spoiled 18ish kilo's, her dad is a tad bigger at 20 kg, but leaner.
If it wasn't for my mother-in-law and father-in-law's wife giving too much treats she should be about 16 kg.

Hilma is a damn good-looking dog! Of the ones shown on the AKC site, none looks quite like her, & I was a little disappointed.

Hilma's dad and sister are prizewinning showdogs, as was her grand-mother.

The kennel she's from:
http://www.telemail.fi/katja.seeslahti/

the kennel's owner is a "vacation"farm manager, meaning she goes to farms when the owner wants to have a vacation
(finland guarantees farmers a 4 week holiday, supported by these farm managers)

the keeshond kennel is her hobby, and she gets maybe one litter per year, some for sale or breeding on.

Update? Loved my Akita. Purebred American female, rescued from some a$$bag that bred her first time she came into heat with a Rotty. Nothin against the Rotty, was doin what he does, but took a giant chunk of her ear. Pups were cute as all hell. Took 2 baths to find out she had the rare 4 white socks cuz he kept her in a 4x8 pen with no shelter outside all the time.
After about 4 weeks, finally warmed up to us, funny long story for another time, that one. But, right in the middle of ex and I splitting, had to put her down. She was 13, doggy dementia, vertigo, all that. But she was a great dog. Been gone 13 years now, still miss her. Keep tryin to get the wife to get one, but we keep finding little dogs to rescue. [emoji53] lol

Good news.

I have Kuma here as of today. He is 7-8 months old and my farm is his 4th home. He has only been here for a few hours but I'm hearing happy talk from him. For anyone not knowing, Akitas talk more than bark. I'm trying to settle him in for the night but being a new place with wild critters everywhere outside it isn't easy. He has already shown his Akita traits in deciding this is home. He is also displaying his still pup traits of racing up and down the hall with socks stuffed with plastic bottles.

Good news.

I have Kuma here as of today. He is 7-8 months old and my farm is his 4th home. He has only been here for a few hours but I'm hearing happy talk from him. For anyone not knowing, Akitas talk more than bark. I'm trying to settle him in for the night but being a new place with wild critters everywhere outside it isn't easy. He has already shown his Akita traits in deciding this is home. He is also displaying his still pup traits of racing up and down the hall with socks stuffed with plastic bottles.

Nice! They have their own language don't they? Lol. Glad it's all working out!

12729018_10153913601267118_8035313458440507924_n.jpg

Siggi can't just sleep on her pillow. In her bed. The pile of blankets I gave her. She has to sleep on you.
I'll allow it for a few more months I guess..

12729018_10153913601267118_8035313458440507924_n.jpg

Siggi can't just sleep on her pillow. In her bed. The pile of blankets I gave her. She has to sleep on you.
I'll allow it for a few more months I guess..

Nope. Yer screwed. Is now her spot, and her routine. Ya ol' softie.
Nothin like the cuddle of a dog. And she'll take over, shoving you to the edge of the bed cuz she's gotta stretch. Haha

Nope. Yer screwed. Is now her spot, and her routine. Ya ol' softie.
Nothin like the cuddle of a dog. And she'll take over, shoving you to the edge of the bed cuz she's gotta stretch. Haha

My favorite is when they kick you in the head while chasing rabbits in their sleep. Not so bad with my 55# mutt (still not pleasant) but the St Bernard did it once...once. Now her legs face away or she gets relegated to the floor.

Forgot about the "every two hours up at night to go outside and sniff" thing with puppies.

We lucked out so far.. worst case, she gets up at 6am instead of 7am because she just can't hold it anymore. She's a good girl, usually.

Forgot about the "every two hours up at night to go outside and sniff" thing with puppies.

Our puppy doesn't do that. I am 100% certain it is because she sleeps in a crate with our older dog. The older dog didn't do it, either, but she also was raised in a crate with an older dog.

In his defense, it was his first night alone, in a crate, in a new house, and with new people. We'll run him more tonight and ignore a bit of the whining.

In his defense, it was his first night alone, in a crate, in a new house, and with new people. We'll run him more tonight and ignore a bit of the whining.

Our pup (only have had her about 3 weeks now) started to whine the first night. But we had her in the crate by herself, scared to have the older dog in the cage with her until they were more assimilated to one another. After about 10 minutes of whining, I went out, opened the door and let Daisy (9 year old) go in with the puppy. We haven't heard a peep out of the puppy during the night since.

Our pup (only have had her about 3 weeks now) started to whine the first night. But we had her in the crate by herself, scared to have the older dog in the cage with her until they were more assimilated to one another. After about 10 minutes of whining, I went out, opened the door and let Daisy (9 year old) go in with the puppy. We haven't heard a peep out of the puppy during the night since.

Pups are just scared of being alone when so young.

If you have 2 dogs and they get along, keep them together. Alternatively, you can put a cardboard box next to your bed and make sure the pup can see you.

OY

This morning my 3 year old lab (food obsessed) decided it was more important to lick sweet wort up off the concrete than not catch on fire. He put his head right next my blichmann burner to lick the wort! Luckily he only burnt hair not skin, but boy did it stink.

He also roams our home vineyard eating up all the wine grapes. Grapes are poisonous to many dogs but luckily he's been totally fine. I've tried everything including physical barriers... I think I might have to resort to an invisible (shock) fence around the grapes. Any ideas?

Back