Wood and a kegerator...makin it fancy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigPatBrewer

Reaction score
Hello all, I am currently in the market for a kegerator. I plan on getting a small chest freezer that is big enough to hold 2 cornys. Unfortunately that is all I have room for. My question is, can I cover it with wood to make it look more like a piece of furniture and less like a freezer? I have seen 1 or 2 kegerators done up this way but my searching didnt turn up a whole lot. Does anyone have any ideas or advice about making a kegerator look extra nice? Thanks in advance

Well, I'm 10 pages into that and there is only one that has wood covering it and it is huge. I made this post because I was hoping to avoid looking for a needle in a haystack....like looking through 1000's of posts. Oh well

Wow yours looks amazing! I actually live right near the U as well. Are you in the Tucson Homebrew Club?

Those links are really helpful. A lot of interesting ideas. Thanks!

The sky's the limit with building a "keezer", which is what you are going for. You can frame a cabinet around any chest freezer, regardless of size and use any wood you want. Some go with high end hardwoods like cherry, while others like me went with a rustic look using knotty pine and cedar logs. You do need to leave a 3" gap between the outer skin of the freezer and the cabinet to avoid overheating, according to most manufacturers. On the other hand, I have seen some builds where the guys glue thin wood paneling directly to the outside of the freezer and claim to not have overheating issues. Your search for "keezer" builds or looking a JuanMoores "coffin keezer thread" should yeild you plenty of ideas. Let me know if I can help! Good luck.

Wow yours looks amazing! I actually live right near the U as well. Are you in the Tucson Homebrew Club?

Yep, but with my current schedule I haven't been making it to a lot of the meetings. We should meet up sometime. You aren't the Pat that I met through Davin and Desi that brewed with me once are you?

Yep, but with my current schedule I haven't been making it to a lot of the meetings. We should meet up sometime. You aren't the Pat that I met through Davin and Desi that brewed with me once are you?

Nope, im a different Pat. I havent been to a meeting in a bit either because of work.

Back