Decoction After Conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BierMuncher

...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Assume a single step infusion...150 degree rest for 60 minutes on a 1.075 OG beer. No gummy adjuncts so no protein rest required.

Instead of using decoction to step up the mash temps, could the process be employed after conversion.

After a 60 minute rest and full conversion, remove 1/3 of the mash and slowly bringing to a boil. Add back to the mash tun and then immediately sparge.

Please hold the "why wouldn't you just do it like a normal person" comments please. More interested in if it can done effectively. ;)

So, you mean decoct to mash out?

Why wouldn't you just..... ;)

I read about this a lot for the styles that benifit from decoction so, I don;t see why not.

What I've been told by folks in my brew club is that to decoct for mashout, try to pull only liquid or as thin a mash as you can.

Their rule of thumb was thick decoction mash, about 1/3 of your volume to raise between steps, thin decoction mash, about 1/4 your volume to raise for mashout.

Cheers

Decoction to mashout? Absolutely, I do it all the time. It's both a good way to sneak in a decoction boil to create some melanoidins and unlike a hot water infusion you don't need any extra room in your mashtun. :mug:

Back