Metallic Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zozo

Reaction score
My buddy and I are still beginners, we have 5 batches under our belt. I would say that one trend we are noticing in all our brews is a bitter almost metallic flavor. The only thing that has been constant in all our brews has been the water. Can the water really have that much an influence on the taste?

I am no expert when it comes to tasting beer and off flavors so I'll give you this from Jim Palmer.
Common off flavors
Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours.

There is a mineral in water, I forget which one, but my brain wants to say Magnesium, that if you have excess amounts, can cause a metallic taste.

Back