Show Us Your Label

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks better with a 3.5" x 2.3" label (at least on my printer), and I can still do 8 on a page...

I like the more subtle og/fg at the bottom, but now I've got too much empty space on that left-most panel 🤔

First label is in honor of my first "mop the kitchen TWICE" brew day... (you'll never guess the hop used!)
1685329407300.png

And the re-worked coconut stout label...
1685329933710.png

Sadly, my little bottle graphic "Please rinse & return" isn't working with my loser friends and colleagues!

What's a polite way of saying "*******, I NEED THE EMPTY BOTTLES BACK!!!" ?
In the alleged words of the soup nazi “No more beer for you!” 😂 Well, sort of.

Sadly, my little bottle graphic "Please rinse & return" isn't working with my loser friends and colleagues!

What's a polite way of saying "*******, I NEED THE EMPTY BOTTLES BACK!!!" ?
Just keep track of the "friends" who don't return bottles, and cut off the beer supply.

Brew on :mug:

Trying to fit the Seinfeld Soup Nazi and the text just doesn't fit... But maybe this works on my dumb-assed friends...

return.png

And heads up to anyone printing their labels at home... The UPS store color printer (at least in my hometown) does an awesome job, for like $0.60 / page.

Last edited:
Looks better with a 3.5" x 2.3" label (at least on my printer), and I can still do 8 on a page...

I like the more subtle og/fg at the bottom, but now I've got too much empty space on that left-most panel 🤔

First label is in honor of my first "mop the kitchen TWICE" brew day... (you'll never guess the hop used!)
View attachment 821146

And the re-worked coconut stout label...
View attachment 821150
It's good to see I'm not the only one with Monty Python references. :)

1685706863484.png

Trying to fit the Seinfeld Soup Nazi and the text just doesn't fit... But maybe this works on my dumb-assed friends...

View attachment 821435

And heads up to anyone printing their labels at home... The UPS store color printer (at least in my hometown) does an awesome job, for like $0.60 / page.
I would give my husband a six pack to give to one of his friends and directly asked for the empties to be returned. Well, the guy did return them, but didn’t rinse them or poorly rinsed them. I threw 3 out because they were gross and growing mold. No. More. Beer. For him! Some people that I give HB I know I’m not getting them back and I’m fine with that. I don’t expect my Dr. to remember beer bottles for my next appt. LOL

I posed this in another thread this week but wanted to share here as well.
the 3 versions of my share from a barrel aged imperial stout that I brewed with @BrewMan13. The stout finished at 14.1% then we aged it 8 months in a fresh American oak barrel that was conditioned with bourbon.

Pink Wax - the base BA stout with coconut and vanilla

Black Wax - the base BA stout

Green Wax - the base BA stout with coffee
(About 16 bottles of each)
E5B72F9B-2D70-4EA0-A6CF-67B04B460195.jpeg

the 3 versions of my share from a barrel aged imperial stout that I brewed with @BrewMan13. The stout finished at 14.1% then we aged it 8 months in a fresh American oak barrel that was conditioned with bourbon.

(About 16 bottles of each)View attachment 826305

These are awesome!

Badass!

View attachment 821435

Give it up. Consider a new box of bottles every couple of batches just another cost of being a popular homebrewer!

Can you share the steps you followed to condition that fresh barrel?

It is a 10 gallon barrel, so to condition it we used a handle of good (normal good) bourbon into the empty barrel and then rolled it a few degrees everyday or so, so that the staves would rehydrate, locking in the bourbon. After a few weeks, the barrel absorbed all the bourbon, then we racked the stout into the barrel for 8 months.

It is a 10 gallon barrel, so to condition it we used a handle of good (normal good) bourbon into the empty barrel and then rolled it a few degrees everyday or so, so that the staves would rehydrate, locking in the bourbon. After a few weeks, the barrel absorbed all the bourbon, then we racked the stout into the barrel for 8 months.
To expand a smidge. When we acquired the new barrel it was dry, and had never been used. Bought it from another homebrewer who never got around to using it. To ensure it would hold up, he filled it with a citric acid solution and let it expand before we picked it up. We kept it like this until a month or 2 before brewday, then started pouring the bourbon in and rotating. We probably poured about 1.5 750ml bottles of bourbon in it total. About a pint of it didn't absorb so we just left it in. The barrel could probably handle ~12 gallons, and we had 13 gallons after brewday, but lost 3 gallons to trub, so 10 went in. We tasted it a few times over the 8 months until we liked it, and here we are.

To expand a smidge. When we acquired the new barrel it was dry, and had never been used. Bought it from another homebrewer who never got around to using it. To ensure it would hold up, he filled it with a citric acid solution and let it expand before we picked it up. We kept it like this until a month or 2 before brewday, then started pouring the bourbon in and rotating. We probably poured about 1.5 750ml bottles of bourbon in it total. About a pint of it didn't absorb so we just left it in. The barrel could probably handle ~12 gallons, and we had 13 gallons after brewday, but lost 3 gallons to trub, so 10 went in. We tasted it a few times over the 8 months until we liked it, and here we are.
Curious on your and Dgallo's thoughts on the end product. Did the stout turn out as you hoped? Care to share the recipe or point me to it if already posted?

Curious on your and Dgallo's thoughts on the end product. Did the stout turn out as you hoped? Care to share the recipe or point me to it if already posted?
Initially it was a bit thin, as we got surprisingly good attenuation, all things considered. So we added a maltodextrin solution. I haven't tasted mine since then. Anyway, here's the recipe (13 gallons, OG 1.140, FG: 1.034, 57 IBU, 63 SRM, 64% efficiency, 73.5% AA):
  • 35lbs 2-row (49.6%)
  • 10lbs dark Munich (14.2%)
  • 3.5lbs roasted barley (5%)
  • 2lbs carafa special 2 (2.8%)
  • 2lbs chocolate wheat (2.8%)
  • 1.5lbs caramunich 1 (2.1%)
  • 1.5lbs special B (2.1%)
  • 9lbs pilsner DME (12.8%)
  • 6lbs wheat DME (8.5%)
  • 3oz CTZ 90min (33.3IBU)
  • 2oz Magnum 90min (22.5 IBU)
  • 2oz fuggles at flame out (0.8 IBU)
  • Used a 5L 1056 starter plus 4 packets of US05

I don't do labels per se, but here's an AI assisted piece that will be going on a displayette for an upcoming brewfest. The beer is a turtle-candy-like pastry stout called "Beetus, The Turtle of Death." (Our club uses a grim reaper theme.)

BfNWzUL.png

What type of printer do you all use? I have given up on labels for the moment after getting annoyed and nearly shotputting my crappy inkj*nk across the room. Dark red was coming out pink, dark blue as sky blue. And this was with brand new ink cartridges....

Back