Fruit Beer Lemon-Lime Hefe Weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how I did this, but apparently in a drunken confusion this got kegged after a 16 or 17 day fermentation...... How is this going to affect it?

George

Felt like I should add a little info for those having a hard time locating the hops in one spot.
I ordered mine from Amazon.
Before I thought to look on Amazon it was going to cost me nearly 20.00 just in hops because I couldn't find anyone that had both in stock. This meant two seperate shipping charges.
I got them both for 10.00.
Not the cheapest but I was happy with the find.

I buy 2 oz at a time. I highly recommend doing this. This is head over heels the best summer brew. If you brew it once you can be pretty sure you'll do it up quite often. I just kegged a batch this past weekend and I brewing it again tomorrow!

I'm a fairly novice brewer and had a hard time getting the white labs yeast at LHBS. First 2 batches were wyeast 1010 and were very good. Second two were the correct yeast from the original recipe and it was far better!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah this beer has a great starting base for most hefes....but I'm a huge fan of the hops and yeast. As summer draws near, I buy pounds of each and keep them in my freezer...as the weather gets cold, my hops are all gone!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Id like to try this recipe in a small batch first. When you scale down a recipe linearly.. do the hop quantiies get scaled the same way?

I buy 2 oz at a time. I highly recommend doing this. This is head over heels the best summer brew. If you brew it once you can be pretty sure you'll do it up quite often. I just kegged a batch this past weekend and I brewing it again tomorrow!

I'm a fairly novice brewer and had a hard time getting the white labs yeast at LHBS. First 2 batches were wyeast 1010 and were very good. Second two were the correct yeast from the original recipe and it was far better!

I have everything to brew except the Motueka. As soon as it comes in I'll get this fired up.

If this turns out well then I'll brew it up again.

Well, I just brewed this for the first time as my first brew BIAB attempt.

Did a small batch of 2 gallons and I think I've got a problem. My OG reading looks to be about 1.042 instead of the 1.051 I was aiming for. Either my efficiency was really crappy off the BIAB, or I suspect the calculator I used to convert the recipe to 2 gallons didn't properly compensate for it being a 6 gallon recipe.

Anything that I can add to the fermenter to make up for some of the missing sugar? I was considering adding in some extra Lime-aide since I have extra sitting around anyway. I have no idea how much to add though or at what time. I was going to add about 18oz to the 2 gallons - should I consider increasing that?

Quick question as I wait on the Motueka to arrive.

I was going to do a 6 gal batch, like the recipe calls for, until I read that my Wyeast 3068 needs 33% headspace since it's such a big top cropper. I can't accomplish this in my 6.5 gal bucket so I would need to buy a bigger bucket or scale down the recipe.

Now, what I want to know is will there be any huge difference made to the beer by making a five gallon batch with the ingredients I already have? I realize ABV will go up(~0.92%), as will the SRM(~0.6). Other than that...any HUGE differences?

7.50# Wheat LME(half at 60min, half at 15min)
1.00# Vienna Malt
.40oz lime zest
OG: 1.055

Thanks for being patient with the newbie.

ETA: I decided to just go ahead and make the recipe as it was originally intended and picked up a 7.9 gallon bucket today.

I brewed this today. Going into the Homebrew supply store with recipe on my iPhone (in hand) and didn't realize they wouldn't have the Ace Sorachi or Montueka hops. So I will confess I substituted Amarillo & Cascade hops. I could not find the Simply Limeade but I did find Simply Lemonade with mango.

If I brew this again I will plan ahead & order the proper hops. I will say my gravity is about as close as I could expect @1.052.

Question: According to the SG & OG this should be around 5.5-6% ABV, but this is not including the 1.75L of Simply Limeade or other. Anyone have any guess where the finished product ends up? It seems the SG would be actually quite higher but you add the Limeade after vigorous fermentation subsides.

Any idea?

I'm also going to brew this tonight and I have a question for the more experienced guys around here.
I'm going to be doing extract with 7 1/2 pounds of LME and I was wondering, based on different methods that I've read, would you add it all at once in the beginning of the boil or add a half and then the remainder with 15 minutes left?

You want to slowly add all of the lme at boil, then start your hops schedule one all of the grain bill has been fully integrated in to the wort.

I just want to thank all of you who have tried this beer and sent me personal or public messages about how my recipes have gotten you hooked on home brewing...For the first time it was recommended to me, to google this beer and I was shocked by how many fans it has in home brewers...I was also shocked how many people reposted this on other sites and took credit for the recipe, but that's another story....but my point, is that I love to brew and create unusual recipes to share, so thank you to everyone for your kind words about my recipes I definitely appreciate them and it make me want to share more of my work!

I'm brewing this Sunday. I'm doing 10gal to split between grapefruit and lemon lime. I have a few questions.

Is the FG post boil or after the addition of the juice? I assume post boil. What's the final ABV after the juice?

This is not so import, but I'd like to know what's the pre boil target is?

What temps are people fermenting at? Anyone start low and step fermentation up-results?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1395926420.206613.jpg just dropped the hammer on another keg of this last night!

To answer my own question in regards to the fermentables in the "Simply" juice addition, the entire bottle yields around 6.5 oz of sugar. So for a 6 Gal batch maybe .5% gain. No wonder it wasn't worth the bother. I had to know for whatever reason.

Took a whiff of the fermenter today 24hrs in & it has bright fruit and fresh toast aromas. Great recipe.

To answer my own question in regards to the fermentables in the "Simply" juice addition, the entire bottle yields around 6.5 oz of sugar. So for a 6 Gal batch maybe .5% gain. No wonder it wasn't worth the bother. I had to know for whatever reason.

Took a whiff of the fermenter today 24hrs in & it has bright fruit and fresh toast aromas. Great recipe.

Yup... It was mentioned in several posts as I read through most of them and your numbers coincide. The .5% is assuming all of it ferments out.

90% of the posts were about the hops being hard to find or substitutions. Others were asking about different yeast.

I also pulled out the recommended fermentation temp is 68f. There was some confusion (or typo) of 148 vs 158 mash temp. That never got answered, but I'll figure my own thing out.

I didn't see this mentioned in any of the posts I read, but I'm having a hard time understanding how this is called a hefeweizen when it's less than 50% wheat? I read that slim did 1 gal batches to perfect this recipe, but have you done it with at least 50% wheat and not have favorable results?

Regardless, I got all the suggested ingredients (less the juice) today (drove over a hour to get the hops), and I'm brewing Sunday.

I'll be doing 10gal and a split between grapefruit and limeade (assuming I find them in the store)

When you brew it you can call it whatever you want....Hef or not....I just call it a damn good beer!

When you brew it you can call it whatever you want....Hef or not....I just call it a damn good beer!

That's why I'm brewing it, but I'm still curious if during your attempt you tried with 50% or more wheat and had less than favorable results?

I brewed this today. Going into the Homebrew supply store with recipe on my iPhone (in hand) and didn't realize they wouldn't have the Ace Sorachi or Montueka hops. So I will confess I substituted Amarillo & Cascade hops. I could not find the Simply Limeade but I did find Simply Lemonade with mango.

If I brew this again I will plan ahead & order the proper hops. I will say my gravity is about as close as I could expect @1.052.

Question: According to the SG & OG this should be around 5.5-6% ABV, but this is not including the 1.75L of Simply Limeade or other. Anyone have any guess where the finished product ends up? It seems the SG would be actually quite higher but you add the Limeade after vigorous fermentation subsides.

Any idea?

I don't know how normal this is better my airlock was pretty much at a dead stop when I added the limeade and then I the day after I tossed that in you'd think we were back to day 1 of primary. Airlock bubbled rapidly for another 2 solid days before it returned to a rest.

So it's been three weeks my OG WAS 1.060 and my FG is 1.021 any suggestions? I was going to keg this tomorrow. Should I rematch yeast?

Alright... I finished twelve gallons and will split it into a grapefruit and the other lime

I did .75oz grapefruit zest with .50oz lime zest, so well see how that goes.

I came out at about 80% efficiency, so I was just over target (1.054) at 12gal. I would've added more water, but I was concerned going over 6gal in my 7.75gal fermenters.

I calculated the efficiency of this recipe, and it looks to be about 65% efficiency (@ 5.5gal), so it's a good thing I have big fermenters to accommodate the extra wort. I should have adjusted, but more beer is not a bad thing to have!

I did a starter, but I was a little late getting it ready, so I ended up with only 2liters for 10gal (I used two tubes of yeast) I know I under pitched. I'm a bit concerned about banana, but guess we will see... I know this yeast doesn't do banana much, but I saw some people did get banana... Fingers crossed I don't!

Next day update: I ferment in kegs, but is looked inside them just to see whats up. It's less than 24hr and there is HUGE krausen in both fermenters. Looks like the yeast weren't too stressed from under pitching.

I'll post results in 3 weeks...

I have mistakenly kegged my extract version of this after only 16 days and now I'm not sure what to think of it. It is very tart with an almost acidic aftertaste and is hard to find the bottom of the glass. There are hints of greatness but at this point I don't know how drinkable it is.

Could the lack of the additional 5 days of fermenting affected it to this degree?

Is there any hope for it? Will age help it?

George

I have mistakenly kegged my extract version of this after only 16 days and now I'm not sure what to think of it. It is very tart with an almost acidic aftertaste and is hard to find the bottom of the glass. There are hints of greatness but at this point I don't know how drinkable it is.

Could the lack of the additional 5 days of fermenting affected it to this degree?

Is there any hope for it? Will age help it?

George

I haven't tried this one yet, but the general short answer is yes!

Time can make a HUGE difference. You should let it go the alloted time before worrying. Most beers aren't ready after 2weeks. I always let mine go a minimum of 3 often even more. I've done 2wk beers like cream of three and centennial blonde, but even those become better after another week or two.

I had one beer that I messed up royally. I almost dumped it, but I let it ride. It was horrible after a month. I still let I ride... Almost dumped it a few times, but I'm glad I didn't. It aged into a very decent beer.

I haven't tried this one yet, but the general short answer is yes!

Time can make a HUGE difference. You should let it go the alloted time before worrying. Most beers aren't ready after 2weeks. I always let mine go a minimum of 3 often even more. I've done 2wk beers like cream of three and centennial blonde, but even those become better after another week or two.

I had one beer that I messed up royally. I almost dumped it, but I let it ride. It was horrible after a month. I still let I ride... Almost dumped it a few times, but I'm glad I didn't. It aged into a very decent beer.

I think the problem is when I kegged it I immediately carbed it and put it on the tap so any fermentation has ended...... Should I remove it and put it at fermentation temp again?

George

I think the problem is when I kegged it I immediately carbed it and put it on the tap so any fermentation has ended...... Should I remove it and put it at fermentation temp again?

George

It's done fermenting. It's needing conditioning. Just pull it out the fridge and let it age another week or so at room temp. It'll be fine.

Anyone try this recipe yet with saaz hops instead of motueka? My local shop doesnt have motueka i i opted for saaz. Wonder how it will end up. Added the limeade today. Waiting patiently!

Just finished brewing this for a second time. I slightly altered the recipe due to lack of ingredients at the home brew store.

7lbs Wheat Extract
1lbs Extra Pale Ale Extract

.5 oz of New Zealand Motueka
.5 oz of Columbus
.5 oz fresh lime zest

Boiled 3 gallons of water removed from heat
Added extracts returned to heat to rolling boil
Added .25 oz of New Zealand Motueka at 60 min
Added .25 oz of Columbus and .25 oz of New Zealand Motueka at 20 mins
Added .25 oz of Columbus at 7 min
Added .5 oz Lime zest at 5 min mark.

Original Gravity at 1.051

It's done fermenting. It's needing conditioning. Just pull it out the fridge and let it age another week or so at room temp. It'll be fine.

Well I sat the keg at room temp for a week now and it tastes more astringent now than before. I'll let it go another week and see what happens, but it may be bound for the drain. I've looked at my brew notes and I don't see anything that should have affected it other than only fermenting for 16 days...... I've moved from extract brewing to BIAB since then, so maybe I'll give that a shot..... I was really looking forward to this!

George

Back