recipe ideas for list of ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hume-ulus

Reaction score
Hi all! Happy New Year and all that..... I have some odd lot of things and am looking for some wisdom/advice on a recipe with some or all of the following ingredients. Proven recipes are really what I'm needing.
Here's what I have -
enough two row to crush a child (Briese)
1 lb honey malt
1/2 lb each of the following chocolate malt, black patent and black malt
1 lb each of the following hops - cascade, Columbus and calypso
I also have half a lb of home grown centennial and 4 oz of hallertau left.
1 oz each of dried ginger and sweet orange peal

I'd like to mash low if using the honey so it doesn't turn into a dessert topping.

Your suggestions are very appreciated.
Salude!

If you added some base malt to it like 50/50 2 row and wheat (or the extract) and used a belgian yeast I think you would have a pretty good dark belgian strong. And you would only need to use a couple ounces of hallertau. Or you could just put it all together with base malt (or extract) and get a really hoppy hodgepodge black ale. I wouldn't worry about the honey malt it won't make it overly sweet. I use it in almost every recipe I have.

Thanks Double D. I havent gotten around to brewing anything else yet. I've been way busier than I had thought I was going to be. If it changes any thing I have 1lb flaked rye and a lb each of Summit (leaf) and Columbus (leaf) now too. I'm thinking of doing a severe American Stout/Black IPA. Im not much on Belgians. Clove and banana arent my thing. But I really do appreciate your feedback. Take it easy out there in Las Vegas.

I made a fantastic Belgian ale last year that had a 2-row pale backbone, a small amount of honey malt (and a 1lb. of good quality honey), and Hallertau hops (2 oz. maybe? added over time). I haven't worked much with chocolate malt aside from the lovely nut brown ale I've made, but if you want to save the chocolate and black patent for another brew, you could probably make a nice Belgian BPA with the 2row, honey malt, Hallertau, and a wee bit of Cascade. I brewed mine with captured Unibroue yeast, but I'd say the Belgian Ardennes might be a nice strain to use in a BPA.

The yeast strain you called out, what kind of profile/ eaters does it have? I really hate cloves and many of the Belgians I've tried have that as a key part of the profile. Leffe was the first real beer I ever liked and that's what I had when in Belgium. So that's my only positive experience with Belgian beers other than. Raging Birch if that even counts.

Back