DIY wort wizard help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunk Monkey

Reaction score
I built myself a CFC and made a DIY wort wizard but I obviously did something wrong. I have water flowing through both the racking cane and what is supposed to be the vacuum hose off the wort wizard. I tried hooking the hose up to the WW from both ends and neither worked properly.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.

do you have any more detail on what your setup is? (how you built the WW, and how you've got everything hooked up)

I don't really understand your description: "water flowing through both the racking cane and what is supposed to be the vacuum hose"

you have your racking cane connected to the wort wizard? why?

the water needs to go in the inlet, through the restriction point, and out the opposite end of the Tee. You can't put anything very restrictive after that point, because it'll cause the water to back up and go through the vacuum line - so generally the water outlet of the wort wizard should go right into your sink or bucket or wherever you collect the waste water.

Sorry, let me clarify. Maybe I hooked the whole thing up wrong.
I have the racking cane attached to the end of the copper tube coming out of the CFC. There is a little bit of "wort" (water) flowing through this. I have the vacuum tube on the carboy cap attached to the top outlet of the WW, where the barb is.
Does that make more sense?

As evandude said, make sure there's no restriction on the output of the wort wizard. Have you tried turning the cooling water flow up/down?

Drunk Monkey said:
Sorry, let me clarify. Maybe I hooked the whole thing up wrong.
I have the racking cane attached to the end of the copper tube coming out of the CFC. There is a little bit of "wort" (water) flowing through this. I have the vacuum tube on the carboy cap attached to the top outlet of the WW, where the barb is.
Does that make more sense?

I still don't fully understand your description, but it seems you may have that much right. A picture really is worth a thousand words.

The way the wort wizard works is that the restriction in the device causes the water to flow out of the inlet, into the outlet, at high pressure, which by the venturi effect causes suction on the third tube. If you're getting water out the third tube then either you have restriction on your outlet causing the water to back up, or your restriction nozzle/hole is not in the right place relative to the vacuum line.

Think I have it hooked up backward and a restriction in the hose. Damn cheap hoses.

Thanks for the help. I am through with it today but will let you know tomorrow if this fixes it.

Latest posts

Back