What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just stashed 5 gallons of a wheat-heavy saison in my fermenter. The wind picked up after I started mashing, and it took me a long time to get my kettle up to a boil. Once it was there I got a good rolling boil anyway, but had to keep my burner turned up to do it and ran out of propane, right when I was getting ready for my ten-minute hops addition. !@#$....

Fortunately, I was brewing in an outdoor kitchen. So I straddled two range burners with my 8 gallon kettle, got it back up to a boil (which took ten or fifteen minutes), then added my final hops and finished out the ten minutes of my original boil time. So my bittering hops had an extra ten or fifteen minutes of steeping, but I think the beer will survive.

I basically followed channel66's Shipwrecked Saison recipe, except that I used Belle Saison yeast like I usually do. I also added four pounds of unmalted wheat, and cut back three pounds on the pilsner and one on the malted wheat. No good reason for the change - except that someone gave me the unmalted wheat, it was already crushed, and I wanted to use it before it got old (or older).

Since I figured the extra wheat might call for a lighter touch on the hops, I cut them back from 1 1/2 oz Willamette to 1 oz for the bittering, and the same with the finishing Saaz. Purely guesswork and winging it on my part; I'm not exactly an expert at this stuff yet. If it was a dumb move, forehead smack smilies are allowed...;)

I'll take a taste after the initial frenzied fermentation slows down, and decide whether it could use some dry hopping.

add: My OG was 1.062, and I finished up a little shy of five gallons. Which is OK, because I use old 5 gallon Arrowhead/Puritas water bottles for carboys and I'm always tight for headroom. Tonight I have an airlock on it, but I have a sanitized blow-off tube standing by - and I suspect I'll need it. :)

Well,I'm making some headway with the Irish red as of yesterday afternoon. The 1.020 went down to 1.016 & it cleared a lot more. The protein feathery gunk settled out finally,leaving some yeast in suspension. The hot alcohol taste I got from the 1st FG sample is gone as well. I'm sure this all started when I forgot to check hydrate temp to be sure it was within 10 degrees of current wort temp like I did with the ESB. The ESB's in bottles after two weeks flat from pitch to settled out clear...:mug:

5 gallons of RIS, currently on oak beans
4 gallons of Gose, still not bottled:(
5 gallons of Somalia saison v2
6 gallons of lambic bubbling away, soon to be a kriek :D
1 gallon sour saison
1 gallon brett saison

This.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f72/berliner-weiss-322730/

The lacto half is in my fermentation chamber, which has a heat wrap in it that is usually used to keep things at ale temps in when the basement is really cold in the winter. Now I'm using it to keep the lacto half nice and toasty.

The ale half is fermenting with 1007 and it's chugging away in the 60 degree basement.

A nice Rye PA:rockin:

IMG_3178.jpg

Got my saison in the fermenter @ 5:57 & got the pit going with chicken & Italian sausage. Havin' some founder's Centennial IPA to relax before headin' outside again.:drunk:

Fermentor - 1 20g of animals IPA (house special, only during late spring and early summer)
Fermentor - 2 10 gal of my weed wackier wheat
Fermentor - 3 (or my what my wife calls it's, the mean machine) I have 20g batch of my favorite, cascade hop bomb. (TIPA)

And hopefully I'll be able to get another batch of double hopped stout.

Unpitched 1.040 wheat ale (still cooling in the ferm chamber - I really need to get a pre-chiller and a good source of ice). Will be pitching in about four hours when I can head home after lunch. It's gonna get 100g of quality loose-leaf Chinese black tea after primary fermentation, I just hope that's enough!

I've got many things in my fermenters, many things..

"its an ale" 9lbs 3oz (mild ale)
"not a chardonnay" white (I've forgotten what it is)
Malbec
Chianti

Brewed a cascade APA on memorial day and it's bubbling away now! I have a baby on the way in early July so hopefully I'll get in at least 2 more brews to have a small pipeline so we don't run dry!

Lots of great brew idea here, Great thread!!

6 gallons of an ipa brewed with copious amounts of columbus comet summit and amarillo hops it smelled like someone was doing bong hits in my garage....at least what friends of mine have said that smells like, so fingers crossed it will be funky/dank

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

15 gallons of cream ale without corn and rice. Barley, red and white wheat, oats, triticale, and rye. So session, so good. The next batch will have triple sweet corn.

Got an APA using Chinook, Amarillo, Simcoe, and Citra. An IPA using Chinook Amarillo and Centennial, and a Spiced porter with star anise and vanilla.

Also have some Apfelwine, some malbec, and some Zin bulk aging.

Nothing as of Friday when i went home and my beer was all over the floor. Spiget decided to fail after a week. That was fun to clean up.

Ipa/saison hybrid with orange peel, coriander, pepper, and cardamom. Hopped using 1 oz simcoe @ 60 min and 1 oz each Amarillo and saaz @ 10 min. 4 gal with us05 and 4 more with 3711. Sitting around 66 f in my chamber. Excited to see the difference between the two yeasts.

Baptism Summer Ale (high ABV American Wheat)
IPA (mix of Cascade, Simcoe, Centennial, and Chinook)
Apfelwein (Brown Sugar)
Apfelwein (Cranberry & Honey) ...SWMBO is really looking forward to this one.

5 Gal. Mosaic White IPA dry hop underway
5 Gal. Mosaic White IPA fermenting with American Farmhouse yeast...not sure how long to keep it on the yeast cake....

Biermuncher's Centennial Blonde.

I've been fermenting it in my home office area as the temp has been steady at around 65 and my basement is a little too cool. Didn't look at the forecast and yesterday it got quite warm on Cape Cod and found my beer happily bubbling away at 77F.

I put it in my basement as it has now warmed to 62F ambient.

Yeah...I know...build a fermentation chamber but through the cooler months the home office works and through the warmer months the basement works. It's just during that flux period were it's warming up or cooling off that this happens.

/rant

Back