What's in your fermenter(s)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plinian Legacy bottled today so we now have an Irish Stout in secondary and a Vandal Eyes PA in primary that brewed today. All are NB extract kits. Think I will try a BIAB in the real near future. Next stop on the path to all grain. :tank:

1399238362114.jpg

6 gallons of a nelson Sauvin oaked imperial Ipa (12.7%abv) beer wine hybrid.
And I just pitched the yeast into a 3 gallon batch of Barleywine inspired by Widmer Bros drop top amber ale.

Just to clarify,BIAB isn't just AG. It can be used in partial mash as well. I do Partial Boil,Partial Mash biab & it works just as well for that. The mash doesn't care about it's size :D. My Irish red is finishing up after initial fermentation, bubbling occasionally. The ESB I brewed on NHB day is still bubbling,but not the machine pistol bubbling like yesterday. That S-04 yeast re-hydrated is pretty fast,like they say it is. I believe it now fer sher. The red might just be ready for Memorial day after all...:mug:

Tonight mine will be full of my first sMasH (MO and Columbus) with us-04.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Please let me know how that turns out! I was planning one f my next smashes to be GP and Columbus so i'm super interested. How much Columbus will you be using and at what times?

Just to clarify,BIAB isn't just AG. It can be used in partial mash as well. I do Partial Boil,Partial Mash biab & it works just as well for that. The mash doesn't care about it's size :D. My Irish red is finishing up after initial fermentation, bubbling occasionally. The ESB I brewed on NHB day is still bubbling,but not the machine pistol bubbling like yesterday. That S-04 yeast re-hydrated is pretty fast,like they say it is. I believe it now fer sher. The red might just be ready for Memorial day after all...:mug:

Good point. I think maybe I've just seen one too many buthurt posts on HBT, and didn't want any BIAB AG brewers to get defensive. ;)

I have a very light bohemian pilsner in Primary 1, getting ready for the summer, and a Fullers ESB clone in Primary 2. Fermentation finished and I have tried dry-hopping this one for some summery notes.

11 gallons of the house IPA :) My efficiency sucked - but it'll turn out just fine..

Nice conical.

Do you actually need a blowoff tube with that much headspace, or do you just do a blowoff tube with every batch to be safe? Not sure of your experiences with it, but I would suggest keeping the growler below the level of the beer - I have a fishtank that drained itself halfway twice thanks to an air-intake tube for the pump that got backed up and started to siphon until the water level inside the tank was lower than the end of the intake tube. A blowoff tube carries much greater volume of air, so it takes more pressure to start that siphon, but it can (and does) happen in certain circumstances.

I still have an Irish Red Ale in my primary, as I haven't been able to bottle it yet. I found a bottle bomb today in my Strong Scottish Ale. Then another bottle bomb went off and again another. I was hoping it was a bad priming sugar blend but, a gusher went off when I opened it. Damn, that sucks. I had something happen at bottling with my priming sugar. Arrgh.

I would suggest keeping the growler below the level of the beer

Good point! I hadnt thought about that.

It's a US plastics 17gal induction tank - This is the second year I've used it. I havent had much luck with sealing the lid so it rarely bubbles and I could do away with the blow off.

My Irish red has been fermenting since a week ago last Sunday. The ESB I brewed on NHB day last Saturday is already past initial fermentation as of today. Both used re-hydrated S-04 yeast. Seems like the ESB is catching up to the red quite rapidly. Many of you said,as did the manufacturer,that S-04 can ferment out quickly. Seems like that's basically true.:ban:

I have a Munich gold lager with 65% Munich type I, about 33% blend of Best pils and floor malted maris otter, and a couple percent acid malt. Czech pils yeast and noble hops to about 23 IBU. Hoping for something between a Marzen and Helles. Should be good. OG was 1.053, expecting it to finish around 1.012.

Just added 5 gallons of california steam beer. I would add a picture of it but who wants to look at a white bucket.

Sent from my LG-P870 using Home Brew mobile app

My Maris Otter/Columbus sMasH (5.5 gal) which will be bottled this weekend. First attempt at a sMasH!

An ESB that finished & settled out clear in two weeks flat. Gonna bottle it today. Clear,amber-orange color & nice balance already.:ban: Funny thing is,I brewed it the weekend after the Irish red,which seemed to have stuck tuesday.

In one I have a simple mr beer kit with muntons yeast, and in the other, I have 1 gallon of arnold palmer in it's secondary stage. The mr beer kit was almost too simple since I've been brewing wine and cider for about a year now, but who passes up free beer??? As for the arnold palmer, it is VERY acidic, but I am not going to basksweeten it, instead I'm going to let the user add sugar to taste, just like you would any other iced tea... once it has sugar in it, it tastes amazing! Once the sugar is added, it tastes like a sweeter twisted tea with a hint of lemon... I'm definatly going to make a 5 gallon of this...

Around 6 pm I will finish the boil on 5.5 gal of Steam beer! I'll pitch and seal the primary!

5/8 Brewed 5.5 gallons: Dragon's Milk clone
5/16 Brewed 5.25 gallons: Zombie Dust clone with 2 oz of each Citra & Amarillo for dry hopping.

Dark n Light

Light bodied, high hop session beer with a little dark malt tossed in for flavor and color. To be dry hopped with Cascade, Centennial and a dash of Citra.

Back