Throw in the towel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaleAleMale

Reaction score
Heres the deal...My IPA has been in bottles for 2 weeks now and the flavor is getting worse. I definitely notice a cidery smell which based on my limited knowledge, and my situation, is probably due to too much sugar or to short of fermentation time (along w/ others such as bacterial or wild yeast but I sanitized the hell out of my equipment so im praying its not that). I purchased a canned prehopped kit (which ive read to stay away from) and added 3 cups of sugar to it during the boil (I dont know why I chose 3 cups...the guy at the LHS told me to add sugar but i Dont remember how much so i guessed...yeah, i know not the smartest). Based on this...did I add to much sugar? Or did I not let the beer ferment long enough...I only let it go about 3 days (it seemed to be done after that so either i messed up or I got some bad yeast). Anyhow, is it possible to salvage this or should i dump it? Thanks

PAM

Here's the short answer:
I think you answered your own question.

1. Pre-hopped kits are not the best but can be used, especially if used with more hops
2. 3 cups of sugar is not a ton, but enough that you might notice cidery flavors. For more malt or alcohol, just add more malt extract instead and bump up the hops a little.
3. 3 days in not a lot of time. Next time give the fermentation at least a week. If you bottle too soon you can end up with 2 cases of glass grenades.

Nothing is necessarily awful but the results may not be what you intended. Give it some more time to age before drinking. You're probably mostly tasting "green" beer.

I would say unless you have an obvious infection don't dump any beer until it's been in the bottle for at least two months.
Over the last 9 months or so I've had two batches that tasted lousy after 3 weeks in the bottle. After 2 months they were both very good.

If you bottled right after fermentation stopped, you need to let it age another 3 weeks.

Definitly dont throw that towel in yet buddy. Take the above advice and let it sit. In the meantime order yourself a good extract clone kit from www.austinhomebrew.com or somewhere and follow their instructions to a TEE. You should end up with some good tasting brew.

I made an Oyster Stout about a month ago and up until last week it tasted strongly of coffee. I thought I had used way to much coffee malt but this week the flavores have mellowed and mixed and not I only get a hint of the flavor. Im very excited BTW about this brew.

I've used cans in the past with great success and great tasting beer and am brewing two batches right now....From what I've been able to figure 3 cups of corn sugar = 1 lb ....Muntons (and most ) kits want 2.2 lb's added to the mix give or take.... I always use DME's or other fermentables (molasses/honey/ whatever) with my mix to keep the sugar at half the required amount or less.... I'm thinking you only added a pound of sugar to your mix and may be a little short on fermentables in fact..Don't dump it all may be well.Take this with a grain of salt ...I'm no expert...Good Luck

Latest posts

Back