Rehydrated yeast at 90f :/

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
Ummm my girlfriend tried getting into this with me, I wasn't really paying attention to what she was saying, and long story short....I rehydrated my yeast in about 1/2 a cup of 90f wort. (I usually just use cooled wort to rehydrate).

Am I doomed? Should I go out and get another pack of yeast from the lhbs?

The rehydration wasn't very active, if that makes sense. I decided to just pitch and see what happens.

Your fine. The yeast won't die until you reach about 120f.

Oh, and you shouldn't rehydrate in wort. Just plain water is ideal.

im assuming its due to less osmotic preasure in water vs word and thus less stress for the yeast. When i rehydrate i let it sit in a cup with tepid water (~70-80 degrees) for 15 minutes or until it starts to slightly foam and then i toss it in.

As its rehydrating the yeast cell wall can't decide what passes thru it or not. So, high concentrations of sugar get allowed to pass and can damage the cells. Water is best.

Dang - interesting...Why is that, and what is your process for rehydrating?

I boil about a cup and a half of water for 10 minutes, cover and cool to around 80f, pour into a sanitized glass measuring cup and sprinkle the yeast into the water. Let it sit about 1/2 hr. and pitch. You can do this while brewing so it's ready to go when your wort has reached pitching temp.

What your doing would be similar to a yeast starter and is only necessary for liquid yeast.

Also, even if you don't see any visible signs from the yeast after rehydrating doesn't mean much. I've rehydrated before with just water and got no movement, bubbles, foam... Pitched it anyway and it turned out fine...

Another case of yeasticide. I'm calling the cops. Now you're doomed. Sorry, had a few, I'm sure you're fine. :tank:

Ok....Well I know it's only been about 24 hours and I have until 72, but there appears to be no yeast in suspension, everythingis just calm and there is a layer of trub and junk on the bottom of the carboy.

Back