Liquid/Dry yeast combination question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewingbarrister

Reaction score
Hello all,

Quick, random question, any way to tell what happens if you combine two yeast strains into one batch? I made a dark german lager kit from Windriver and made a yeast starter the night before using the Wyeast german lager. I used the yeast starter kit and instructions I got from Austin Home Brew. Because it was a lager I put the lager yeast starter in the basement at 55 degrees overnight. There was no activity in the starter airlock the next brew day morning, but I pitched with it anyways (never made a starter before).

After four days there was absolutely no clouding of wort/krausen, etc. and I became worried. I have no homebrew shop local and read that the wort had a high potential for contamination at this point. So I went to the only place in town that had no liquid lager yeast, but did have dry S-23 lager yeast. I pitched two packets directly into the fermenter and, voila, within 24 hours fermentation!

I now wonder what the hell the beer will taste like, if there is any way to guess? Anyone ever done something like this, ie dumb, before? Cheers.

It will be fine. The s23 will probably be the yeast profile you end up with. No biggie

Back