Planning First Batch From Recipe; Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

124Spider

Reaction score
Hi,

I've brewed several batches from Brewer's Best extract kits, and one from a Brewer's Best all-grain kit. All have been excellent.

Now I would like to make a beer from a recipe, but I'm a bit intimidated.

What if my local home-brewing stores don't have all the right grains? Where does one get all the right ingredients?

Also, I have read up on "sparging," but I don't get it. What is this, and how is it done? I brew in a Blichmann BoilerMaker 7.5 gallon pot.

Thanks.

Mark

Hi,

I've brewed several batches from Brewer's Best extract kits, and one from a Brewer's Best all-grain kit. All have been excellent.

Now I would like to make a beer from a recipe, but I'm a bit intimidated.

What if my local home-brewing stores don't have all the right grains? Where does one get all the right ingredients?

Also, I have read up on "sparging," but I don't get it. What is this, and how is it done? I brew in a Blichmann BoilerMaker 7.5 gallon pot.

Thanks.

Mark

There is nothing wrong with calling ahead before you make your purchase to ensure the HBS has everything...I do it all the time. If they don't you can try any of the numerous online shops, Austin Homebrew Supply, Adventures in Homebrewing, Northern Brewer, etc.

Sparging: Two methods.

1. Batch sparging: where you bring a certain amount of water up to 168-170 pour it in the mash, mix well let it rest for 10 minutes then drain to achieve your pre-boil wort.

2. Fly Sparging: take the amount of water needed to achieve pre-boil again between 168-170 and add it slowly to the mash tun at the same rate it's draining from the mash tun. Stop when you've reached your desired wort amount.

Cheers!

Back