Any beer ine cream recipes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackDogBrewing

Reaction score
My wife is hugely into making her own ice cream- yummmmmy! The other night we tried out a new gastropub, and for dessert we had chocolate ice cream with porter and toffee ice cream with oatmeal stout, both were amazing. We've been talking for years about making an ice cream with a porter, stout, frambois or belgian tripel. Does anybody have any recipes, or ideas of how much brew to add? A few years back we made a chocolate ice cream with Chambord liqueor, which was great, but we had to experiment, too much alcohol makes it not freeze well.

Here's a really simple trick that I've used.

Next time you make boring old vanilla, replace half the sugar with DME.

Also leftover LME is excellent on sundaes :)

One time we boiled down a pale ale and a stout still it was caramelized then poured it over ice cream. It was the best ice cream i've ever had.

Make a custard base which is eggs, cream and sugar (basically) and then replace a little bit of the cream with some beer that you have simmered away the alcohol for at least two minutes. Then into the ice cream maker. I had a Guiness Ice Cream made this way and it was awesome.

Just a quick recipe I found online by typing in Ice Cream Recipe

Vanilla Ice Cream

5 egg yolks

2/3 cups sugar

1 cup half and half

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup whipping cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Beat yolks and sugar until blended. Pour in top of double boiler. Stir in half and half. Cook and stir over boiling water until thickens. Set aside - stir in butter. While cooling on a rack, stir occasionally until room temperature. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Freeze according to manufacturers directions.

I would start with Guinness or a chocolate stout and add it to a chocolate recipe. I would reduce the amount of cocoa by half and add it to a pint of Guinness and boil it down to a syrup. Cool it and then add it to the recipe.

You could also add sugar to Guinness and boil it down to a syrup to add to the ice cream. I would start with a half cup of sugar for one pint of Guinness and then adjust as needed.

There is a recipe on here for Guinness Cupcakes that I have made five or six times and given out to at least ten times to satisfied customers.

Eric

Eric

Back