My first lager (need some guidance)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoNova

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first lager (red lager from a midwest kit) seems to be coming along nicely. It's been a week since I pitched the yeast and I still have a nice krausen and my chest feezer reeks of fermentation (yes, I am a airlock sniffer).

I've been reading a ton on the process, but am confused as to when to rack to the secondary. I have been using the 1-2-3 method for my ales. But for this lager, should I go ahead and rack, let the fermentation finish, do a diacetyl rest, and then lager? Or should I let the fermentation finish in the primary and then rack to the secondary right before lagering? Or something else?

Would love to hear what procedure others use.

What I have done for lagers is this: when the primary fermentation is mostly (2/3-3/4) complete, warm the beer up to ~60F for a couple days for a diacetyl rest, then rack to secondary, and gradually chill to as close to freezing as you can get it. I have an area under my front porch that becomes a lagering cellar during the winter. It stays around 34-37 degrees from January into March. Then just let it sit there. The clarity will improve over the course of the lagering period. I let mine sit for at least 6 weeks. My lagers have ended up crystal clear.

Disclaimer: I make no claims this is the right thing to do, but I've been pleased with the results I've gotten.

Good luck.

Back