adding flavors in the secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinton

Reaction score
I have seen some tutorials where the guy adds a little something it to the brew when it is racked to the carboy. I am about to rack a kit, an aussi lager, and I looking for some complimentary flavor ingredients. What should I add to the brew?

What kind of flavor do you want? If you want vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, strawberries, etc, that would be what you'd want to add.

I'm not one for "flavored" beers, so I think I'd prefer it plain. But if you have an idea that you want to pursue, that's great.

jlinton - I'm also one of those no fruit in my beer, meads and ciders are different. But spices is something else, no personal rules on that yet.
Personally when I add fruits, I like to do it in a bucket to ease cleaning and removing the stuff. I let it hit the target gravity, then add the fruit or spices in primary. Then after 4 days to 2 weeks depending on what I'm adding I rack to secondary.
I have never made an Aussi lager, but I would think a little citrus like one lemon, one orange would add a nice balanced something something. Just scrap off the rinds, then juice them and add. You do not want the white pith as it can add a bitterness bite that would kill a light beer like that.

Back