Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A redneck in my office said that drinking bottle sediment gets you drunk quicker.

No. Can't happen, ever. Sounds like a poseur.

You have 'White Collar' office types, then there are 'Blue Collar' types factories, mills, freight, warehouse, services etc.

'Red Neck' is the outdoor, sun weathered worker, construction workers, cowboys, fishermen, farmers etc. The sun gives red necks due to burn.

You have 'White Collar' office types, then there are 'Blue Collar' types factories, mills, freight, warehouse, services etc.

'Red Neck' is the outdoor, sun weathered worker, construction workers, cowboys, fishermen, farmers etc. The sun gives red necks due to burn.

Wait - I fit all three of those , am I a red white & blue neck?

Ha, come to my office. We have plenty of white-collar rednecks.

Wait - I fit all three of those , am I a red white & blue neck?

I was in the WineMonopoly today (seriously vinmonopolet.no, check it out) and overheard one of the cool, tattooed, man-pony-tail workers trying to describe a sour to one of the customers. I cringed, and cringed, and cringed. He was simply trying to sell one of the more expensive beers, and had no clue how to answer the questions. The guy asked how it had a different taste than normal, and the worker said, "Well, of course, it still has the taste of... grains. And you know it's got that. And well, it just has kind of a different taste, because it's brewed in a different way. Which is that they move it immediately to a keg (yes, a keg). And then it just becomes different at that point because they don't bottle it right away." I had to walk away... and out of the store. OK, I walked out of the store because I didn't find anything I wanted to purchase this time. But still...

I was in the WineMonopoly today (seriously vinmonopolet.no, check it out) and overheard one of the cool, tattooed, man-pony-tail workers trying to describe a sour to one of the customers. I cringed, and cringed, and cringed. He was simply trying to sell one of the more expensive beers, and had no clue how to answer the questions. The guy asked how it had a different taste than normal, and the worker said, "Well, of course, it still has the taste of... grains. And you know it's got that. And well, it just has kind of a different taste, because it's brewed in a different way. Which is that they move it immediately to a keg (yes, a keg). And then it just becomes different at that point because they don't bottle it right away." I had to walk away... and out of the store. OK, I walked out of the store because I didn't find anything I wanted to purchase this time. But still...

That's about the right time for a, 'WEEEEELLLL ACTUALLY...'

That... is awesome!!!

27_laughing.gif

I fianly read through all this thread, took a few months but Im finally caught up, and to top it all off I have a slightly amusing thing I heard about beer.
At my cousin's batchlor party we got a little carried away, what started with some friendly beer pong quickly devolved in to Bacardi pong and thus the downward spiral began. At the end of the night me and my buddy Jeffery were the only ones still standing ( more leaning in a standing like manner). And lo there was still beer left, the majority of a brick of Sam Adam's chocolate bock. We decided to see if we could finish it, which we did. Poor old Jeffery hit the floor shortly after he finished his last beer, a moment later he proceeds to empty himself on the carpet. With the last of his might he looks up and proclaims "it tastes like chocolate." and promptly drifts off to dream lands with his puddle as a pillow. The next morning as the lot of us fianly come to, everyone much worse for wear, Jeffery starts asking questions and the night before, mostly involving why the world smells and tastes like a Hershey bar. 3 days later at the wedding he told me that he still smells chocolate.

Not only is that Modern Times Honda Fit story awesome, but on their website, they have some very interesting sounding beers... and they provide homebrew recipes for most of them!

http://moderntimesbeer.com/beer/year-round

http://moderntimesbeer.com/beer/seasonal

http://moderntimesbeer.com/beer/special-release

You know that all their recipes ( or at least the core ones) were developed by @oldsock aka the mad fermentationist? You can see all the trial iterations in the site

Just came back from the store. In my cart I had vacuum bags, case of Upland brewing co. variety pack, and a wood floor duster.

Lady cashier - Does not look like a fun day for you
Me - I have beer!
Her - Why do men always need beer when doing chores?
Me - :rolleyes:
Her - When I tell my husband to clean and stain the deck he tells me he will need a few beers.
Me - It gets done thought right?
Her - um..well...yea...have a good day.

Exactly, it gets done, so relax on the methodology!

I find a lot of women are task oriented.... It's about how you do it. And get it done quickly too.

A lot of men are goal, or outcome oriented. Did the final product come out well.

Sorry for the post necrophilia, I'm only up to page 200 and sumpin.

That's about the right time for a, 'WEEEEELLLL ACTUALLY...'

It's so funny still reading from page 300, and it pops up at the end too.

Kudos to this thread, delivering from beginning to end. (Except for the statistics and economics lessons)

I fianly read through all this thread, took a few months but Im finally caught up, and to top it all off I have a slightly amusing thing I heard about beer.
At my cousin's batchlor party we got a little carried away, what started with some friendly beer pong quickly devolved in to Bacardi pong and thus the downward spiral began. At the end of the night me and my buddy Jeffery were the only ones still standing ( more leaning in a standing like manner). And lo there was still beer left, the majority of a brick of Sam Adam's chocolate bock. We decided to see if we could finish it, which we did. Poor old Jeffery hit the floor shortly after he finished his last beer, a moment later he proceeds to empty himself on the carpet. With the last of his might he looks up and proclaims "it tastes like chocolate." and promptly drifts off to dream lands with his puddle as a pillow. The next morning as the lot of us fianly come to, everyone much worse for wear, Jeffery starts asking questions and the night before, mostly involving why the world smells and tastes like a Hershey bar. 3 days later at the wedding he told me that he still smells chocolate.

I don't know, man. This sounds more like a "we need to go to meetings" story.

Nope. Well, not true for Australia at least. I wouldn't want to be working behind a bar in a pub trying to give Aussies a 500mL glass when they've asked for a Pint hahah.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

You want to hear something funny.... Australian beer glass sizes.

In South Australia, where I am,
we have Schooners and pints. A schooner is usually a pilsner glass or equivalent size. A pint is a US pint ... A real pint can be had in certain bars. Oh, and there are Butchers. Fable has it because butchers had cut off their fingers they could hold it. Think a small water glass at a restaurant size.

Then you drink in other states and they have Pots. The equivalent of a Schooner. Or Handles, beer mugs.

It's crazy, the non standard sizing in a metric country.

There's a local radio add for a bank, and the manager is named John Palmer. Whenever it comes on I forget for a second I'm listening to radio and not beer podcasts.

Let's see......there's too many 'funny' things to list but here's a few of my favorites.

1. The young pups who come into my favorite local craft brew pub and get pissy that they don't have Miller Lite on tap.
2. "You're going to become an alcoholic if you keep brewing so much beer"
3. Sitting at said local pub and listening to the Miller distribution rep try and convince the bartenter( a friend of mine and a craft beer lover of the highest order) that Blue Moon is the best selling craft beer in America and she couldn't understand why they wouldn't keep it on tap regularly. I had to bite my tongue to not chime in.
4. My personal favorite, being told that because I home brew I'm legally a bootlegger and should pray I don't get caught.

clearing up the backlog of crap on our DVR, we finally got around to watching the season premiere of Bones (aired 10/1) last night

Hodgens, holding up a flask: exciting news! I've just incubated some super-fast microbes! these guys replicate like nobody's business!
Angela: I like to keep my office a microbe-free zone
Hodgens: but these are Saccharomyces cerevisiae, the building blocks of beer!
Angela: you know, I don't feel bad for not knowing that
Hodgens: We haven't seen Booth in a while, so I wanted to brew him a nice IPA for dinner tonight

:smack:

Back