Broken Thermometer-Again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk1012

Reaction score
So, I'm about 70 minutes into my 90 minute mash of my third all grain (BIAB) brew and "POP". The bottom of my thermometer broke, emptying it's liquid and solid contents into my beer. I wouldn't be supprised if my nieghbors knew that I was upset-I may have been a little verbal. Worst part is that this is the second time I've had to dump out a whole batch of beer for the same reason. Are there any quality weldless thermometer fittings out there that can handle the heat of a direct fire keggle?

Sounds like you are using a glass thermo, how about a stainless steel dial thermo like the ones use for turkey fryers?

+1 on the dial thermometer. I switched to this the first time my glass thermo broke. Fortunately, mine only broke in a pot of plain water and not my beer.

DAMMIT - I just broke a thermometer while brewing another batch. It's 8PM in California. Would a Safeway have any usable thermometers? I can wait 1.5 weeks to get another one from my LHBS for $3 (the only free time I have to go during the day to pick one up), or spend $8-$16 for one now. What do you guys think?

DAMMIT - I just broke a thermometer while brewing another batch. It's 8PM in California. Would a Safeway have any usable thermometers? I can wait 1.5 weeks to get another one from my LHBS for $3 (the only free time I have to go during the day to pick one up), or spend $8-$16 for one now. What do you guys think?

I bought mine at walmart for a few bucks. Doesn't need to be fancy.

Just make sure it's accurate or better yet make sure it's able to be calibrated. The several I bought at walmart and the like were off an average 5-10 degrees. That's enough to really screw you on all grain.

Just make sure it's accurate or better yet make sure it's able to be calibrated. The several I bought at walmart and the like were off an average 5-10 degrees. That's enough to really screw you on all grain.

True. Accuracy is the important feature. I always calibrate thermometers anyway. I would do it even if it was some fancy expensive one.

+1 to multimeter with temp probe. I don't have a Fluke but it is easily the most useful tool I have.

Back