yeast pitching rates.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beer_master

Reaction score
Many times i brew without paying any attention to quantity of dry yeast to use,i always had use 1 pack. per 5 gallons with no problem(brewing 1.066 OG stouts and etc..no problem),while there are many yeast pitch rate calculator,and books that recommend three packs for same brew .
Now do i really need that much of the yeast generaly?

Many times i brew without paying any attention to quantity of dry yeast to use,i always had use 1 pack. per 5 gallons with no problem(brewing 1.066 OG stouts and etc..no problem),while there are many yeast pitch rate calculator,and books that recommend three packs for same brew .
Now do i really need that much of the yeast generaly?

I like to pitch the proper amount of yeast. Sure, you could do it with one package. I mean, you could even ferment 30 gallons with one package because the yeast does reproduce. The main advantage to pitching the proper amount of yeast is to provide the best environment possible for the fermentation. Stressed yeast just doesn't produce good flavors. (With the possible of exception of Belgian styles, where esters are desired).

So, you could easily do it with one package. Or, you could follow the pitching calculators for best flavor.

Back