Blue Moon Clone question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSUFlyer

Reaction score
So when i bought my brew kit a couple months ago they asked me what i wanted for my first brew......i told them i wanted a Blue Moon clone.....because that is my favorite easy drinking beer. The fermentation smelled funny....to me it was moldy smell, but i had mulitiple brewing friends tell me it smelled like a belgian and was fine. Then after a two weeks in the bottle.....it still has a strong aroma and a small taste of the smell from the fermentation. I think I made a discovery in my local brew though. In my research I found that they gave me Saison liquid yeast for this batch. The description of the yeast doesn't even sound like what i wanted. At my local brew they had a beer that was an Imperial Saison beer with an orange, spicy twist. I thought this sounds like a blue moon "clone" with saison.....so I tried it. Bingo! taste exactly like mine smells.....obviously theirs is better because mines not done carbing.

Long story short.....who in here would use Saison if your trying to do a Blue moon clone?

To me Blue Moon tastes like it could be fermented w/ clean ale yeast(read S-05).I absolutely can't stand the yeast funk flavors you get in a real belgian wit like Hoegaarden but BM tastes fine to me.

So when i bought my brew kit a couple months ago they asked me what i wanted for my first brew......i told them i wanted a Blue Moon clone.....because that is my favorite easy drinking beer. The fermentation smelled funny....to me it was moldy smell, but i had mulitiple brewing friends tell me it smelled like a belgian and was fine. Then after a two weeks in the bottle.....it still has a strong aroma and a small taste of the smell from the fermentation. I think I made a discovery in my local brew though. In my research I found that they gave me Saison liquid yeast for this batch. The description of the yeast doesn't even sound like what i wanted. At my local brew they had a beer that was an Imperial Saison beer with an orange, spicy twist. I thought this sounds like a blue moon "clone" with saison.....so I tried it. Bingo! taste exactly like mine smells.....obviously theirs is better because mines not done carbing.

Long story short.....who in here would use Saison if your trying to do a Blue moon clone?

I use Wit yeast - Wyeast 3944 for my Blue Moon-ish wit. I am not familiar with Saison yeast, but after looking at the Wyeast description of the yeast it doesn't look like it would be out of line. I'd say give it more time - two weeks in the bottle is still pretty green - go buy some Blue Moon, and crack another clone in two more weeks - I bet you'll be very impressed with yourself.

I think that Wyeast 1007 German Ale would be the best yeast to use for a Blue Moon clone. WLP029 Kolsch from White Labs would also work. Either should be fermented at 64*F or cooler. If you can't ferment that cool (I do, using a 32 gallon trash can and soda bottles filled with water and frozen) use US-05.

Back