Sitting in jury duty

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Ah the boredom of jury duty.

Wait- I have a byo, my iPod with about 50 hrs of brewing podcasts and compensation from the company to sit and learn more about brewing.

Guess it's not so bad! :)

Haven't had to go in for JD since I moved to Oregon. Got called for the District court this year, but didn't have to go in either time. Which is good because it's a two-hour commute each way and I'm just inside the limit for getting a hotel room paid for. Last time I had to go in, no electronic devices were allowed. It was fun watching people make a move for their cell phone or iNoise and realize they didn't have it. One woman went through this cycle about every 10 minutes.

They gave us wifi, which definitely helps pass the time. Still sitting around, waiting for trials. So far ive listened to jamil's kolsch show and about an hour of stuff you should know. "stuff you should know" is probably my favorite podcast.

Whee.

Went through the selection process for a murder trial. The defense was having a tough time, as the accomplice had already been found guilt and the guy on trial was the one that pulled the trigger. Just told them I was an engineer, instant off.

I served on a jury earlier this year. Really didn't mind it. I'm salaried and I get a certain number of days for jury duty before I have to dip into vacation time. So I got to sleep in a couple extra hours for a couple days and the only downside was being bored whilst waiting for everything.

It was a convenience store robbery case and the robbery was caught on film. Found the guy guilty of second degree robbery because the prosecution couldn't prove that the guy threatened the clerk with grievous bodily harm or death since there was no gun visible on the tape nor was there a clear indication that the guy said he had a weapon - he just demanded the money.

Wow, murder and armed robbery. When I was on a jury, it was insane driver #1 ran into drunk driver #2. Yes, that's right. The sober driver ran into the drunk one.

I served as foreman, because of my natural leadership abilities - I know, it's hard to imagine :)

I served as foreman, because of my natural leadership abilities - I know, it's hard to imagine :)
I was the foreman too. Don't know how the hell that happened. Oh yeah... we spent more time waiting for someone to volunteer to be foreman than we did reaching a verdict and I got tired of waiting.

You do realise that with the way that everyone scans the internet these days, we may have just got that murdering bastard off on a technicality?

Audibly laughed at that exchange- the other jurors probably think i'm crazy :fro:

Tip for the day:- If you find yourself on jury duty and laughing out loud....Knock out a few teeth, start knitting some mittens and yell, in your best old hag voice "Viva Monsieur Guillotine!"

You will never have to suffer jury duty again.

my service is officially over.

Many thanks to the respondents of this thread- distraction was my weapon of choice.

Back