How to chill wort samples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
I usually put a big grill pan in the freezer at the beginning of the brew day.
then I pour the sample, about 150ml / 5 oz , into the cold pan and put it back in the fridge. since these pans are made out of thick iron they have a hi thermal mass , plus the ridges giving more contact surface to help chill faster.

I put the hot wort in a coffee mug, then put the mug in a bowl of cool water. After a minute, switch out the water, add ice, and place in the fridge.

I usually put a big grill pan in the freezer at the beginning of the brew day.
then I pour the sample, about 150ml / 5 oz , into the cold pan and put it back in the fridge. since these pans are made out of thick iron they have a hi thermal mass , plus the ridges giving more contact surface to help chill faster.

+1 except I use a metal pie pan and stick it back in the freezer after adding the wort. It only takes a few minutes to get it down to temperature.

I'm just now building my MLT so I'm not all grain yet, but I was thinking about this the other day.

What about keeping a few metal table knifes in the freezer and putting a couple in your hydro test jar with the hot wort? Seams like there would be enough thermal mass and surface area to be effective. Anyone tried it?

I just pour it into a beer glass and set the beer glass in my bucket of starsan. Since I only make a couple gallons it does cover the glass and brings it down to room temp pretty quick and I don't have to worry about overchilling the sample.

I pour the sample into a bucket and let it cool for 5-10 minutes. Since the layer of wort on the bottom of the bucket is very thin, it cools quickly.

In the winter, I have to watch it -- I've frozen hydrometer samples this way.

Latest posts

Back