Freezing Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNYC

Reaction score
Hi All!

I wound up with a bit more wort than I needed last brew, so I tossed it in the freezer. I’ve never used frozen wort for anything before - any tips or ideas? I don’t use starters (gasp!) so I’d probably use it for a 1-gallon brew or as part of a future brew.

The Wort - ESB, O.G 1.040, IBU 60

process- 60 minute no-sparse mash at 154, 60 minute boil, 30 minute crash to 65 degrees. I put the wort in a sanitized 1 gallon jug an hour or two after cold crash, chilled it in the fridge for a few hours, then popped it in the freezer.

Guessing this is safe to use if I just boil it for 10 minutes? How long will it keep in the freezer? Does freezing affect the flavor? Any fun ideas for using frozen wort?

Freezing wort will cause the water to ice up and thus concentrates the wort to a higher gravity. This is a somewhat common practice for Eisbocks and very high ABV beers.

I'm not following what you're trying to accomplish with putting the wort in the freezer. Are you just doing this to save the wort for later use?

Freezing wort will cause the water to ice up and thus concentrates the wort to a higher gravity. This is a somewhat common practice for Eisbocks and very high ABV beers.

I'm not following what you're trying to accomplish with putting the wort in the freezer. Are you just doing this to save the wort for later use?
Yep, just saving the wort for future use. I may just thaw it out for a 1 gallon batch, or I may invent a recipie that uses it somehow in a new brew...

Back