Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been experimenting with sous vide cooking beef ribs. Tonights batch I first dusted with a pork rub for the sweetness, sous vide'd for about 24 hours at ~160F, then dusted with a beef rub, then into the BBQ to finish for a few hours. Beef rub came out a bit too peppery for my taste, because I got lazy and used preground pepper with a fine grind instead of fresh coarsely ground pepper as called for (lesson learned). Still pretty damn tasty though.

View attachment 1443577197446.jpg

Been experimenting with sous vide cooking beef ribs. Tonights batch I first dusted with a pork rub for the sweetness, sous vide'd for about 24 hours at ~160F, then dusted with a beef rub, then into the BBQ to finish for a few hours. Beef rub came out a bit too peppery for my taste, because I got lazy and used preground pepper with a fine grind instead of fresh coarsely ground pepper as called for (lesson learned). Still pretty damn tasty though.

Here's some Sous Vide action from a few weeks ago... View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443579389.279211.jpg

the first time I saw this monstrous mass of meatatarian deliciousness was at post #120 of this thread....you can add or take out anything you want, but the dang thing is amazing no matter what ya do with it.
(I still haven't figured out how to link an individual post, but you'll get there this way. :D)

Got it, thanks!!

NICE!!! Hell, I might even be able to do that one!

Got some awful purty meat there, mister.

Seriously though, couple quick questions, do you refrigerate for a while before you smoke/grill (various schools of thought on the idea of room temp vs. cold temp meat for cooking)? Does the long smoking/cooking times control your decision on what you use for the 'inerds'?

First things first... I'm not an expert.

I don't think there's a big difference between refrigerating or not. Granted, cold meat absorbs smoke better, and if you're looking for crispy bacon, it will take longer for a cold fatty to come up to IT, exposing the bacon to the heat for longer. But I think either way is fine. This one didn't rest in the fridge at all, because I was in a big hurry.

I don't think you really need to worry much about the long time affecting what's inside. It's not a long cooking time at all. At 300-350 degrees (the temp you want to use to get the bacon properly cooked), you're looking at maybe 1-1.5 hrs cooking time. So I don't think it will matter either way.

A lot of people will do breakfast fatties, with scrambled egg, cheese, and shredded potato. The first one I ever did was spinach, gruyere, onion, and mushroom, which I pre-cooked the ingredients (minus the cheese) to get the onions and mushrooms softened. This one I pre-cooked the noodles, but I wanted the onion and sauerkraut to keep some texture, so I didn't pre-cook those.

Really, it's a very blank canvas... Paint what you want :D

the first time I saw this monstrous mass of meatatarian deliciousness was at post #120 of this thread....you can add or take out anything you want, but the dang thing is amazing no matter what ya do with it.
(I still haven't figured out how to link an individual post, but you'll get there this way. :D)

Right click the post number, then copy link. From there you can paste it into a post.

NICE!!! Hell, I might even be able to do that one!

Got some awful purty meat there, mister.

Seriously though, couple quick questions, do you refrigerate for a while before you smoke/grill (various schools of thought on the idea of room temp vs. cold temp meat for cooking)? Does the long smoking/cooking times control your decision on what you use for the 'inerds'?

I refrigerate mine mainly because I like to premake them the night before (plus the ground meat holds together better for rolling when chilled). I dont really see there being much difference regardless.

Another thing to keep in mind. It is really easy to overstuff them. Only fill half to 2/3 of the meat and roll from the stuffed side. Leave an inch or so on the ends so it can seal. If you overstuff, all of the cheese will work its way out of an end or both.

Right click the post number, then copy link. From there you can paste it into a post.
HA! never thought to do that, thanks.

I refrigerate mine mainly because I like to premake them the night before (plus the ground meat holds together better for rolling when chilled). I dont really see there being much difference regardless.

Another thing to keep in mind. It is really easy to overstuff them. Only fill half to 2/3 of the meat and roll from the stuffed side. Leave an inch or so on the ends so it can seal. If you overstuff, all of the cheese will work its way out of an end or both.

I've never really experienced a difference in grilling/smoking whether the meat is room temp or fridge temp, maybe my taste buds aren't that refined.
Ah, good idea. I have similar problem with stuffed pork loin. When I roll it up, stuff always falls out the ends. Resolution noted, thanks Jon!

Smoked my first pork butt ever yesterday after a bachelor party out of town on Saturday. Didnt get it on the smoker till 3pm and was pulled at midnight. Need to work on more crunchy bark but besides that I was really happy with how it turned out. Also smoked some wings for dinner. Sorry, only snapchat pics from my buddy. :D
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444064247.251271.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444064258.089591.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1444064267.192083.jpg

Looks great. I get to eat a lot of what we smoke because there only two of us. However when we have a party I have to set a little aside so the wife and I can have a meal. Labor day we made 4 large briskets and 6 large pork shoulders.
If I didn't set a point aside we wouldn't of had anything left, LOL. friends are still talking about it every time we talk.

I bought a brisket at Costco back in early September, knowing that I could wet-age it for a good 30-45 days and it would only get better during that time. So I figured I'd have an excuse to have a gathering and cook it.

Well, that didn't quite happen. But one of my homebrew club buddies was having a brew day at his place yesterday, so I decided to contribute the brisket...

15# to start, liberally trimmed. Slathered with sriracha sauce, dusted with salt, pepper, chile powder and flaked chipotle. Cooked 14 hours at about 225-250, with a mix of hickory & cherry, wearing its birthday suit only all cook ;-)

Finished at 8 AM, wrapped in foil and dropped it in the cooler for the drive over to the brew day, sliced and plated at noon.

Came out perfect. It retained its moisture pretty well, was perfectly tender, and had a nice bark.

post-8528-0-20049800-1445180227.jpg

post-8528-0-39508200-1445180249.jpg

post-8528-0-55957600-1445180278.jpg

post-8528-0-87755000-1445180203.jpg

post-8528-0-89554200-1445180305.jpg

About to put 5 pastrami-rubbed corned beef briskets and 6 full racks of baby back ribs into the offset smoker with soaked oakwood atop a charcoal start. The briskets will finish up in a sous vide after about 3 hours of smoke.

About to put 5 pastrami-rubbed corned beef briskets and 6 full racks of baby back ribs into the offset smoker with soaked oakwood atop a charcoal start. The briskets will finish up in a sous vide after about 3 hours of smoke.

Does the sous vide method provide a more reliable toothsomeness? How long in the bath?

Does the sous vide method provide a more reliable toothsomeness? How long in the bath?

I find it makes a consistently good bite - not chewy, yet not butter-soft either. I do 185* for about 8 hours and that is AFTER the 3 hour smoking session. I remove the meats from the smoker, let cool slightly, seal each one in a vacuum-sealed bag, and into the sous vide which I then fill with hot tap water til all the meats are submerged. They'll languish in their nice warm bath til about 11 pm, then I'll pull them and stash in the fridge til tomorrow. They'll slice up perfectly once completely chilled.

Forgot the pic but smoked a couple of pounds of venison jerky tonight ..... sweet hot bambi is delicious

what do you guys think of all this meat and cancer talk...Honestly,, it's nothing that I didn't already know. Processed meat = bad. But why are they focusing on bacon? Isn't it just smoke pork belly? Are they saying smoking = processed? If so, wouldn't be the smoke source to blame?

what do you guys think of all this meat and cancer talk...Honestly,, it's nothing that I didn't already know. Processed meat = bad. But why are they focusing on bacon? Isn't it just smoke pork belly? Are they saying smoking = processed? If so, wouldn't be the smoke source to blame?

Haven't researched it as much as I'd like, but I did come across this:

The organization defines processed meat as any type of meat that is salted, cured or smoked to enhance its flavor or preserve it. Processed meat generally contains pork or beef, but may also contain poultry.
Source

I can't say that jives with what I've been thinking "processed" means though. I also wonder if there's a distinction between doing it at home and mass producing it.

Either way, my bacon intake probably won't change too much

Haven't researched it as much as I'd like, but I did come across this:

Source

I can't say that jives with what I've been thinking "processed" means though. I also wonder if there's a distinction between doing it at home and mass producing it.

Either way, my bacon intake probably won't change too much

I think if the concern is nitrates, then home made is no better for you in that regard. The only improvement is the amount you use. So you could use less salt/nitrate to make bacon or ham, and you know that you have to be extra careful with cooking, etc. to be sure you don't get botulism. But you know that's the risk you run.

Home made is probably better for you as far as being closer to the original state (on an animal) compared to lunch meat that is pieces parts, nitrates, salt, who knows what other stuff.

It's not like home grown tobacco is less carcinogenic, but you know it is just leaves that you picked and dried. So it's better for you, but still not good for you.

From what I heard on the BBC, it sounds like 5 out of 100 folks in developed countries will develop Colo-Rectal Cancer (or maybe just cancer, I forget). This study basically ays that if you eat process meat EVERY day of your life, your odd go up to 6 out of 100.

I think I'll have my daily Dawg and Bacon and live happy!

I am. Trimmed a 17lb beast of a choice packers cut down to about 13.5lb. Rubbin' that baby down with some Dalmatian tomorrow evening before sticking it on the offset around 4am Saturday. I will be wrapping it in butcher paper about half way through the cook... for good measure.

Latest posts

Back